Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julius Caesar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Hi all,
I bought my MBP last week, and I'm not sure how I can get the free upgrade to lion. How do they keep track of who is eligible and who isn't (I bought mine from Amazon)?

macmongral

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
When Lion goes live the details on how to take advantage of Apple's offer will be posted here.

that site makes no sense unless lion in out today because

"Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer "

but there is nowhere to register the fact they have purchased a mac

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I'd imagine the date isn't so hard set, I'm sure Apple said that any one that purchased a new Mac from the moment Lion was announced would be elligible.

But yeah, the wording could have been better.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

"Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer "

It makes perfect sense. You're just reading it wrong. What it means is that any one who buys a Mac from June 6th onwards has up to 30 days from the date of purchase to request their free copy of Lion. So for example if you bought a Mac last week on Friday which is the 1st of July you have up to 30 days from that day to register and request your copy of Lion. 30 days from the 1st of July is the 30th of July.

erangaj

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
Australia
It makes perfect sense. You're just reading it wrong. What it means is that any one who buys a Mac from June 6th onwards has up to 30 days from the date of purchase to request their free copy of Lion. So for example if you bought a Mac last week on Friday which is the 1st of July you have up to 30 days from that day to register and request your copy of Lion. 30 days from the 1st of July is the 30th of July.

Then what if you bought a Mac on 6th of June. Don't you have to register before 6th July? So, is there a way to register for those who bought their Mac on 6th June? Apple must update there web site before EoD today!

Wontu

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
Then what if you bought a Mac on 6th of June. Don't you have to register before 6th July? So, is there a way to register for those who bought their Mac on 6th June? Apple must update there web site before EoD today!
The page states that "Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request."

santos79

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009

:rolleyes:

Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009

If you continued to read Apple's site and not the snippet posted here, it also says you have 30 days from the day Lion is released (their wording conflicts with itself). Nevertheless, I think it is safe to assume that all computers purchased from June 6th onwards will have 30 days from the day Lion is released to make the request. And the way to register is to visit Apple's site, linked above by someone, once Lion is released.

erangaj

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
Australia
The page states that "Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request."

The page says:

1. Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer.
  2. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

#1 and #2 Contradict Each Other: Don't They?

Wontu

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
The page says:

1. Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer.
  2. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

Yes, they do. But if we look beyond the poor wording and thinks about what information Apple might have intended to convey, I think that the second point is what we should take to heart.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
The page says:

Not at all, it is referring to 2 case scenarios.

The last portion implies that whenever Lion is released, if you bought your Mac after June 6, you will be eligible to upgrade, even if it's released in September.

The first portion is the normal rule, applicable before June 6. Buy a Mac before June 6 and you have 30 days, regardless of Lion's release date.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
The page says:

They sure do, but since Apple hasn't made it possible to make a request yet, and will only do it once Lion is out, I think (2) will overrules (1).

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Not at all, it is referring to 2 case scenarios.

The last portion implies that whenever Lion is released, if you bought your Mac after June 6, you will be eligible to upgrade, even if it's released in September.

The first portion is the normal rule, applicable before June 6. Buy a Mac before June 6 and you have 30 days, regardless of Lion's release date.

Not at all? Are you kidding?

If someone buys a computer on June 14th, according to (1) he has until July 14th to upgrade. If Lion is released on July 14th, then someone, according to (2) has until August 14th to upgrade. Surely you realize the timeframe between July 15th and August 14th, in my hypothetical, exceed the boundaries defined in (1). Therefore there would be a conflict if (1) was strictly enforced. How can't you possible say there is no conflict whatsoever?

And by the way, there is no "normal" rule. The uptodate program that is linked here is a page dedicated to Lion. There is no precedent for Lion.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Not at all? Are you kidding?

If someone buys a computer on June 14th, according to (1) he has until July 14th to upgrade. If Lion is released on July 14th, then someone, according to (2) has until August 14th to upgrade. Surely you realize the timeframe between July 15th and August 14th, in my hypothetical, exceed the boundaries defined in (1). Therefore there would be a conflict if (1) was strictly enforced. How can't you possible say there is no conflict whatsoever?

And by the way, there is no "normal" rule. The uptodate program that is linked here is a page dedicated to Lion. There is no precedent for Lion.

Rule 2 supersedes rule 1.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Rule 2 supersedes rule 1.

I hope so too, but right now there is nothing explicitly said by Apple to indicate this. It is conjecture on our part, hence the complaint that Apple was not very clear and that Apple did contradict itself, which they did. So it seems you now recognize that there is conflict, otherwise there would be no talk of "supersession".

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
The text from the press release

The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

erangaj

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
Australia
Not much too this. Obviously somebody neglected to delete the second sentence from the press release. Notice that the second sentence also refers to "users" as opposed to "customers".

"Obviously somebody neglected to delete the second sentence from the press release."

Not the only mistake by apple. Lion it self is a collection of mistakes.

Absolutely "unApplistic"! :)

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA

The last portion of the page I linked reads,

"When Lion becomes available in July, come back to this page for details on how to request your copy of Lion."

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I wonder... The other week, I had my Mac replaced due to having many issues with it (It was the 2010 model). The replacement they gave me is the latest (2011) model; does anyone think i'd be eligible for this?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I wonder... The other week, I had my Mac replaced due to having many issues with it (It was the 2010 model). The replacement they gave me is the latest model; does anyone think i'd be eligible for this?

No. You did not buy your Mac within the time required.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
i read the last part as seperate and sounds like after 30 days of release date the offer is over and you snooze you loose to get free update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.