How to get the highest possible quality music on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdamA9, Dec 17, 2010.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Guys,

Just invested in some good earphones, however, my current library of music just doesn't do them justice, I think it might be because of the compression or something.

Is there a way to get really good high quality music on the iPhone?

Thanks
    Adam

2. milamber macrumors regular

You could always re-rip your CD as ALAC.

Or buy a lineout dock and a portable amp.

What earphones did you get?

3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Most of the music is already MP3. I buy my albums on the internet rather than hard copy. A lot of it is 320 anyway, so will that stay when I convert in iTunes?

I got the Shure SE535

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Stop using anything less than 256kbps AAC or 320kbps MP3 and/or re-rip your CD library using Apple Lossless/AIFF.

5. lexvo macrumors 65816

If you re-rip your CD's in the highest bitrate for MP3 (320kps), the quality should be quite good.

6. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

if you really care about audio quality you shouldn't be converting anything that's already an MP3. that said, for the most part i haven't heard much change in iTunes AAC transcoding to save space on my iPhone.

7. milamber macrumors regular

Do NOT transcode. It's a sure fire way of making your music sound crappy.

Shure SE535 are great headphones! There isn't much you can do if your mp3 are at a certain bitrate already. Crap in, crap out.

8. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do I do this? MOst of my MP3s are 320kbps anyway, I try not to go any less. In future would I be better off buying the CD and then ripping it? The only reason I don't do this is because iTunes and the like is a lot cheaper than CD albums usually

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Stay away from Rap, C&W, and most Easy Listening. [​IMG]

10. walie macrumors 6502a

also consider how you're getting the sound out of the iphone, if you want supreme quality, you shouldn't be using the headphone jack

be sure to get a high quality line out cable to a high quality amp, then plug your shures into the amp

11. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cant really take an amp on the train with me :)

12. aohus macrumors 68000

Get a portable DAC + AMP

search on ebay. or check head-fi forums for reviews.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You don't need to buy CDs if you're already buying tracks from iTunes or Amazon (they use 256kbps). What's left is good headphones and/or amp

14. walie macrumors 6502a

absolutely you can, there a number of high quality portable amps available. As mentioned, check out head-fi.org, and Sorry About Your Wallet

15. aluren macrumors 65816

Buy CD's and ripping them in Apple Lossless is still the best way to go. I have a good quality earphones myself (UE-10 Pro) and can clearly hear the difference between 320k .mp3 and Apple lossless .m4a files. I still never buy anything on iTunes or Amazon music because of this.