Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RashiMahajan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Hi,
How i can get the list of all the docs like .doc,.pdf,..xls documents which are stored in iphone in table view as i get the all images stored in my iphone gallery. :(
Please help me out

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can't. You can only access your own applications sandboxed area of the filesystem (and other areas that the API provides access to like the photos).

RashiMahajan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Then How other apps List all other documents like .doc,.pdf etc in their app, can u help me in it.. Please .. e

drf1229

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I'm curious too, although it wouldn't get accepted, how could an app access all of the files on your iPod, such as the Cydia app, iFile?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'm curious too, although it wouldn't get accepted, how could an app access all of the files on your iPod, such as the Cydia app, iFile?

Apps for jailbroken phones are different: all sandboxing/safety features are basically disabled. In general developers on here are only interested in the official SDK: you'd be better asking this on a forum where jailbroken developers hang out.

raniwala25

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Access to all files

There is an app called FileApp which works on unjailbreaked idevices so can u please tell me the idea of how to get access to all .pdf, .doc files stored on the device.

Ides

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
robbieduncan is right, there's no way to get a list of all .pdf, .doc, or "dot anything" files on your phone. Have you seen the filesystem? I have, because I've used iFile extensively, and I can tell you it's very large. Not as large as on the Mac, but still very large. First of all, some directories your application can't even read. If you try to access the contents of it, say through NSFileManager, you will get an error because your app doesn't have permission to view those files. Secondly, to get a list of all "dot something" files on the phone, you would have to search through every directory on the phone, which would take a very long time and is not feasible.

The reason you can access all the photos stored in the photo gallery is because they are all stored in the same folder, which apple specifically allows you to access.

@raniwala25 O.K, there may be a "FileApp" which works on unjailbroken devices but what does it actually do? Does is just pull up all .pdf and .doc files? Or does it just let you browse directories? I'm telling you, there's no way to do this.

raniwala25

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Found my answer

@Ides- After a lot of searching google and few other resources i got my answer that although there's no option to open the files outside my APP's sandbox so now i diverted my way to other way to get my app open certain file formats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.