How to get the lock screen back under control

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by vexorg, Sep 15, 2016.

1. vexorg, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

vexorg macrumors 6502a

I like to keep my phone secure, so I don't want a widget screen or camera on the swipe left or right. How do I switch that off in the settings? (and yes I've had a search around).

Is there absolutely no slide to unlock option now? I rarely use the home button, only the unlock button to access, doesn't feel right to have to use the home button.

2. KALLT macrumors 601

In Settings → ‘Touch ID & Passcode’ you can disable the ‘today view’. The camera cannot be disabled, I think. Slide to unlock is gone, no workarounds there.

3. mthomas184 macrumors 6502

mthomas184

DISREGARD. Apparently it turns off the camera for the entire phone :oops:

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

The widget section has been addressed in an earlier post. The camera can only be disabled completely (locked or unlocked) using restrictions, otherwise there's nothing else for it really--which is the same how it's been in previous iOS versions.

5. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

So anyone can grab an iPhone now and use the camera as they please?

What about these "rich notifications" do they need disabled?

Clearly apple don't think that other people will ever pick up and abuse phones when you're not looking.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    No, the lock screen could be controlled to prevent access to any of the phone functions. ("show on lock screen" or something like that)

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

In regards to the camera it's been that way for years since the feature became available (and is like that on most other phones too), so certainly nothing new or strange. There was never a control for the lock screen camera (short of disabling camera completely from restrictions).

As for rich notifications, that's new to some degree and while some require the device to be unlocked to do something others don't seem to (and for most there isn't much control over that aside from basically the ability to disable lock screen notifications for apps that do that and that you don't want to be able to do it).

7. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

This has been the case for years, my wife could pick up my iPhone 6 and swipe up on the little camera icon and start shooting at will. iOS 10 has the same functionality, just no little icon.

This still exists in settings, you can prevent the widgets panel from sliding out while the phone is locked and you can turn off text/email notifications as well.

BJ

8. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, IOS 9 and below had the option to switch off control centre on lock screen. In fact that's still there in IOS10, under settings, control centre, access on lock screen.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Control Center can be disabled now, just as before (and in the same place as before). That doesn't affect the camera shortcut access from the lock screen though (not now nor before).

10. KALLT macrumors 601

You can disable individual apps from showing notifications on the lock screen. Notification centre can be disabled, as you saw. The camera doesn’t divulge any private information.

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

nothing to do with using camera on the lock screen.

12. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Disabling notification view when locked doesn't work for me on my iPhone or iPad. I've had to disable messages and VIP mail individually. I'd like to see all my notifications gone on my lock screens - my watch can show me those...

13. KALLT macrumors 601

It only disables the notification centre, not the notifications on the lock screen. You can disable those per app in Settings → Notifications. You only need to turn off ‘Show on Lock Screen’.

14. pentcp2 macrumors member

pentcp2

If you had one, someone could pick up your digital camera and use it too, if you left it out on the table in front of them and they felt so inclined, surely?

15. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Yes, for each app. Didn't have to do this in ios9. I have a lot of apps installed... :(

16. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

you what? you had to do it for each app in ios 9 too. this thread is a joke

17. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hahahaha what are you on about OP?

Using the camera from the lock screen was introduced in iOS 6 with no way to disable it, in any revision.

Also suggestion: don't leave your phone laying around.

18. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502a

ThunderMasterMind

Actually 5, its been around for 5 years.

19. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Yes it's outrageous,in iOS10 there's now nothing to stop someone picking it up, putting it their pocket amd walking away.

20. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

21. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Just because someone can access the app doesn't mean that they can access your photos. They would be able to take pictures, but they would not be able to see your pics. At worst, they might take a picture of their butt and you would have to delete it after.

22. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

what doesn't, there are several things on that page. there's a difference between disabling notification centre on lock screen and disabling notifications on the lock screen, I'm not sure everyone's on the same page/

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

24. Aniseedvan, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

I have all options on allow access when locked off:

[​IMG]

Messages set to display on lock screen.
    [​IMG]

Send a text and they appear on the lock screen:
    [​IMG]

I know I can turn off notifications at an app level.
    However under ios9, this combination of settings resulted in no notifications being displayed on the lock screen. Under iOS10 this appears not to work, at least for me on both iPhone and iPad.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

That combination of setting still showed notifications on the lock screen under iOS 9 as well. Not sure why it might not have for you, but it certainly should have, and did (as you clearly had notifications on lock screen enabled).