how to get the mac to communicate to an old printer...

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
set up:
computer- mac mini
OSX.4

pritner:
Old digital printer
DEC CLaser 5100
sublimation printer

I need to know if this printer can work with mac osx and how to get it to work.
I plug the mac to the printer via usb to parallel port cable.

there is an old driver in floppy formate that comes with the printer for mac os9.

can mac osx communicate with this printer? and if so how? im guessing either through apple talk or ip or something. any help is appreciated. if there is a way please tell me how to get mac osx to hook this printer up.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Best Bet = Gimp Print (unlikely)

Your best bet would be to see if you can print to it using some similar GIMP print driver:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

I don't see that printer listed, but sometimes you can get away with a generic driver for a similar type of printer.

krossfyter said:
set up:
computer- mac mini
OSX.4

pritner:
Old digital printer
DEC CLaser 5100
sublimation printer

I need to know if this printer can work with mac osx and how to get it to work.
I plug the mac to the printer via usb to parallel port cable.

there is an old driver in floppy formate that comes with the printer for mac os9.

can mac osx communicate with this printer? and if so how? im guessing either through apple talk or ip or something. any help is appreciated. if there is a way please tell me how to get mac osx to hook this printer up.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
thnx. i install this gimp but then what? where did it go? its not in apps? i cant find anything new under add printer.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
I do not see the "Advanced" option in Print Center. How can I find it?

Make sure you are holding down the option key (on the keyboard) when you click the Add Printer button.

did a gimp faq search to see if i can resolve my problem.. only found the above.. yeah i dont see an advanced option when trying to install gimp. i do hit the option key.. . but nothing still.