How to Get The @me.com Email Address?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by modit, Sep 19, 2011.

1. modit, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

modit macrumors 6502

Where can I create a @me.com account to use? Do I have to wait until iOS 5 is released?

Hope my preferred address is taken already!

Thanks!

2. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Yes you do.

And fortunately for you I have already got it :)

3. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

:confused:

Could you PM me perhaps?

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Given that there are many MobileMe users out there, if the name is rather common then yes, chances are its gone.

5. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

Any way to check that or do I still have to wait until I can sign up to know?

6. Florida Gator macrumors regular

I'm helping my dad's friend get going on computers. We ordered her an iMac, Time Capsule and iPhone. She's currently on AOL mail, but she wants to switch and I would like to get her on MobileMe/iCloud. Unfortunately, she has all this stuff already and I don't want to complicate and confuse her, so I'd like to get everything set up at once.

I realize MobileMe is discontinued and no longer taking subscribers, but is there any loophole or backdoor just to get her an account that will easily transition to iCloud without her noticing? I see people selling them on eBay, would that work?

7. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

pay for a developer account?

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

If I could, I would be thrilled to give you mine.

I never use it, the damn thing is so stupid. "@me.com" are you kidding?

How self serving and narcissistic. :eek:

9. cheeseplane macrumors newbie

LOL! That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    So the (second-level) domain is telling me something about ones selfishness?

10. jlanuez macrumors 6502

I agree, it sounds childish. I like my ".mac" addrress and will continue using that. I'm not switching to ".me"

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, it sounds aweful. I hope that apple doesn't force us .mac users over to .me. At least iCloud sounds better but I don't think they'll be using that (I think)

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I like it. I think it's the perfect domain for a personal email account.

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I have @mac and @me from my mobileme account. I don't think Apple will change domain again since they prolly have so many ppl that have been using @me from mobileme since launch day like me! It wouldn't be professional for me to tell all friends and customers that my email address has changed once AGAIN. :mad: I wish Apple had kept @mac so much better.

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You can open up iChat - Click Preferences - Click the "+" button in corner left - Then select the button that says "Get iChat Account"

or go here

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/W...createacctype=lite&userid=dmac&localang=en_US

This me.com account is free. It should work with iChat/iTunes/Facetime/Mail etc.

I'm wondering if Apple really put some thought into this because the MobileMe Chat is encrpyted and works with AOL. In Leopard/Snow Leopard you were suppose to do all kinds of stuff. Will all that disappear? I know with every upgrade, Apple takes the cool features away.

15. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

To my understanding this is only an "empty" AppleID, you could use for iChat, iTunes and FaceTime. Not sure if there is any email account assigned for people applying now.

16. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

If you had @Mac.com you didn't need to tell anyone your address changed. Anything sent to you @Mac.com still works as it did before me.com started and always will.

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You use your @me.com address for business?