iPad How to get the mkv videos to the Ipad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thaosandy68, Feb 28, 2013.

1. thaosandy68 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've got the Ipad 3 and I want to get some videos in mkv format to my Ipad by iTunes - Films, but it doesn't allow me to do it. Can you help me, please? I have installed some apps in my Ipad to play mkv videos like Playable, OplayerHD and HD player but I can't put any mkv to my iTunes and then to my Ipad. :(

2. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak and get iFile. Then get Open SSH and transfer them wirelessly from your computer to your iPad, and all will be golden.

3. Non-Euclidean macrumors member

Its in iTunes, you are missing it.

1) Connect the iPad to your PC,
    2) Fire up iTunes and select the iPad (top right or so)
    3) Select apps (top 6+? options under title)
    4) Select the AVPlayerHD app,
    5) Drag files over, from the filesystem window and drop them down into the file area for AVPlayerHD
    6) They are uploaded and are then associated with AVPlayerHD, and it can play them.

As long as you are using MKVs, they will be taking up a lot of space as opposed to other formats.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You would really be better off running the files through Handbrake before transfer to your iPad....Some of the newer and particularly Blu-Ray movies are huge...even in MKV format they can run in at 20GB +. Handbrake is free, has presets for iPhone, iPad, ATV's 1,2 and 3. as well as generic and Android ripping options.

This will reduce the file sizes without the loss of too much quality, and give you more room on your iPad.

5. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

In this day and age, iOS's ability to play 1 format of video is laughable

6. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Actually there are other app store apps that play .mkv and .avi files in addition to .m4v.

But jailbreaking will get you the best .mkv apps.

7. Non-Euclidean macrumors member

What he said.

Handbrake and MKVMake are your best friends.