How to get the most from Growl??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XheartcoreboyX, Aug 14, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

after reading too much comments about Growl i have just installed it...and i wonder what ''cool'' things/add ons you can do with it?why is it so popular..

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

It took me a long time to come around to Growl, but now that I have, I love it. In order to see what it can do, though, you have to go to the Growl site and see which applications you have that are compatible with it.

Basically, it provides a consistent visual interface for system notifications, from when a buddy comes online, to when you have new email, to when your bittorrent is finished downloading, to when there's a new article in your RSS reader. These notifications can either be "sticky," meaning they stay on your screen until you click on them, or non-sticky, where they show and then fade away.

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i looked in their websites,so those programmes that work with growl have an option for that in their preferences,right?

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Most of them will. At least an option to activate Growl, or something similar- a simple check box. The apps that have asterisks by them, though, have scripts that you need to install. Those scripts come with the Growl download. For example, I use a script for Microsoft Entourage to tell me when I have mail through Growl.