How to get the new iPhone O2 UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Jun 9, 2009.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Call customer services and downgrade to the lowest tariff - £35 or £30 (whichever is available).

Sell your iPhone 3G on www.envirofone.com (currently offering £200), or via private selling methods.

Purchase new iPhone 3GS with new contract next Friday.

This will end up costing £about £215 with a new 18 month contract for myself which I think is fair...

Obviously it helps that I was on the £45 tariff and am able to downgrade and also that I want to purchase a £45 tariff so I get a cheaper 3GS, it may not be so good if you are on a £30 contract and want to purchase the new £30 contract.

I think we must stop complaining as we did sign a contract.

Aaron

2. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Which is great if you aren't bothered about keeping your number, but what about when the current contract comes up for renewal? You will lose your number if you end it, as you cannot port numbers on the same network. A no no for me as my number is attached to my business and is on thousands of printed adverts.

3. nerdish macrumors regular

Then next year when the iPhone 4G comes out, do the same? No ta, this update wasnt anything special - just wait till next year!

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you are on £45 contract (ignoring the current VAT reduction, which is only pennies) you are basically looking at £270 to buy out of the contract.

If you can get £200 back for your phone then it's £70 more than a new customer to upgrade to the 3GS and you would keep your current number, which isn't ridiculously expensive, I guess.

This would make a total of £245 or thereabouts for a 32GB on an 18 month £45 per month contract

The alternative on PAYG would be £338 (£538 - £200 for your old iPhone)

5. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

When the contract has been paid off, get it moved to a pay as you go sim? Then just get a new number for iphone 3GS?

Then in about 4-5 months move pay as u go number back over to iphone 3GS?

Not sure if that will work!

6. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn I didn't realise you can't keep your number. Why is that?!?

7. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Because the OP's idea was to set up a NEW contract, with a new number. Then put his existing sim card in the new phone and end the current contract when it's up. When you end the contract you either lose the number, or you can convert the contract to PAYG, but then you'd have a contract with free minutes etc (your new one, that will still be running) but on a different number. You could use your existing number, but it would be on a PAYG basis, so despite the fact you'd be paying for free minutes/texts, you wouldn't be able to use them.

You can't transfer numbers within the same network because people would just cancel their contract and get a new one every year to take advantage of better offers for new customers.

8. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

I currently have a iPhone 3G and contract is due to end in Jan 2010 (like most people here i expect!)

If i were to buy a PAYG iPhone 3GS, would i be able to put my contract sim in it and carry on as normal? I have insurance on my phone through O2 so as long as i gave them my new IMEI number would that be ok as well?

Its a little silly spending a fair bit of £££ just for a few minor upgrades to the 3G, but since i saw you can get £200 through envirofone (thanks AeroUK lol) £240 for a 16GB iPhone 3GS does not seem so bad.

9. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

I just called and you CAN keep your number, they transfer to PAYG and then transfer it back again.

Can we sticky this post please, I think it is perfectly reasonable!!!

Aaron

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Can you explain that in more detail step by step what to do, and who can do this etc / update your original 1st post?

11. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

So you take your sim out and send them the handset???
    How does this mob make a profit buying £200 second hand phones?? Anyone know how long before you get the money.