How to get this effect in FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bob Jovi, May 14, 2008.

1. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

Hi there,

I've made a video against a green screen and the plan is to key out the green background and make it white (like ipod videos) and then change the person to black. for some of the video I want the close ups to be black but also with white highlights so that you will be able to see the performers lips moving.

how do i do this in FCP??

Thanks

Bob

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Lots of practice?

Well, first I would use a color key to remove the background...then invert it so the people are what is now the "empty space". Giving you the silhouettes you need.

As for giving you some detail with closeups, you would have to somehow drop decrease the "opacity" of the peoples outlines so that you could see some of the actual highlights on the real actors...this may require you color correcting or messing around with contrast/levels of your video to get it to show up.

All in all, this sounds like at least 3 layers of the same video each with different filters and tweaks.

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

4. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

Hi again,

I've finished editing part of my video and have keyed out the green from the shots. Now I can see my white background coming through, but also all the other shots that are underneath it in my timeline. Is there a way to chroma stuff without having to put my whole timeline onto one track?

Thanks

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Well, if you did your lighting carefully in the shoot, I'm sure you could do the white highlights with the color corrector limit luma and chroma

There are several "ipod ad" effect plugins for FCP BTW. Google for them.