How to get time-wise traffic data from Google Maps?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by parambyte, Jan 23, 2017.

1. parambyte macrumors newbie

parambyte

I was wondering if its possible to analyse Google Traffic data for a particualr location over an entire day (every 30 minutes or so) and/or a week and find what times of the day carries the least traffic. I have flexibility of time.

I have to, for some reason, cross this particular creek bridge many times this year. The problem is, the bridge has been under repairs for the last couple of years with no timeline by when it would be fully functional. This has created hour long traffic snarls at this point.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I suppose it could be accessible through an API they make available. If you have any programming knowledge, it'd be worth looking into, anyway.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not quite sure about Google Maps and the particular way you are thinking of going about it, but some traffic apps have a "forecast" function that can predict what traffic would be like at particular times of various days, so that might be something that could help with the kind of thing you are talking about. Apps such as Inrix Traffic can do something like that, perhaps Waze might be able to do it too (and maybe some other apps or services like 511).

4. parambyte thread starter macrumors newbie

parambyte

Hmmm...Inrix Traffic and Waze aren't very popular where I come from so there traffic data wouldn't be so accuTet/data-rich.

I don't have any programming experience so can't look into APIs...

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Technically Google owns Waze and the traffic data, and while I haven't really looked into it, it seems that Waze and Google Maps would basically have the same traffic data.

6. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

The widget on IOS can provide the current traffic conditions in your area. Idk if that would help you.

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You can do that on Safari from iOS and OSX, choose depart at.

8. parambyte thread starter macrumors newbie

parambyte

9. samiwas macrumors 68000

google maps traffic view has a "typical traffic" setting where you entire a day of week and time of day, and it will give you the typical traffic at that point. It's at the bottom where it says "Live Traffic". Change it to "Typical Traffic".