iPad Pro How to get USB 3 sync speed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by the future, Jun 10, 2017.

1. the future macrumors 65816

So both new iPad Pros (10.5 and 12.9 II) are for the first time supposed to have USB 3 speed for iTunes syncs, right? Would certainly help to fill those 512 GB.

AFAIK, the only lightning cable with USB 3 speed is the lightning to UBS-C cable. Then how is it possible, if at all, to get USB 3 sync speed with computers that only have USB-A USB 3 ports, like my 2014 5K iMac?

I searched for a female USB-C to male USB-A adapter but couldn't find one (just the other way around). Is there any other way, maybe using the lightning to USB 3 camera adapter?

2. biosci macrumors 6502a

Is there confirmation that the lighting to USB C is USB 3 capable? Even Apple's C to C cable is 2.0 and not 3.0 due to cost and it being primarily used as a charge cable I think.

3. 007p macrumors 6502a

I heard nothing in the keynote that said they were USB 3 sync capable.

In fact, I remember they actively avoided saying so? They said it had USB 3 speeds for the adaptors - just like the first gen iPad Pro 12.9" had. Then mentioned fast charging with the 29w adaptor.

4. the future, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017

the future thread starter macrumors 65816

IMG_1330.PNG

Hmmm ... I just re-watched the iPad part of the Keynote and you seem to be right. USB 3 speed only for the usb camera / sd card adapters. But why?? If the new iPads are capable of USB 3 speed data input, why on earth would this not be enabled for iTunes syncs as well, especially considering the 256/512 GB storage sizes?? This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Btw, has anybody ever tried to connect an iPad via Apple USB camera adapter to a computer / iTunes? I'm very sure it won't work but maybe someone can confirm this from first hand experience?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2017 ---
    Answering my own question: someone tried to connect the (old 12.9) iPad via USB Camera adaper to his computer and it didn't work:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30160747#30160747

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I'm wondering if the cable itself is the actual limitation? That somehow Apple doesn't include a lightening to USB 3 (A) cable and perhaps there is a reason one doesn't exist.

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Yes. If you look at USB A to lightning cables on Apple's website it says "thus USB 2.0 cable..."

The USB C to lightning doesn't mention 2 or 3.