How to get users by address book

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by petermod, Jul 29, 2015.

1. petermod macrumors newbie

I'm trying to develop an iPhone app and implementing on it a functionality similar to snapchat's and so many other apps: i want to ask for the user's mobile phone number and add it to my database. I then want to ask for permission to access my address book and based on my mobile phone contacts (friends mobile number) i can suggest the profiles of my friends who have installed the app. I developed some functions in which I was able to get all the user's contacts as a string. But i have some issues. People can write the mobile numbers in different ways (putting the country code in first place, etc). Since i am matching an exact string it becomes kind of hard.

Is there any solution for this problem? I know that different countries have different ways of writing the mobile numbers. F.e. in Portugal we can write 00351 911 111 111 or +351 911 111 111 or 911 111 111 . This will be easy to solve in portugal since we all have the last 9 digits and it is easy to compare. But in the US i have seen (555) XXX-XXXX or XXX-XXX-XXXX and many other formats.. I can't determine how the user has saved the contact and the same with other countries.

ALL HAPPENS AFTER ASKING FOR AN AUTHORIZATION

In the viewDidLoad i search in Parse the users of my mobile phone

Code:
    override func viewDidAppear(animated: Bool) {

var query = PFUser.query()

query?.findObjectsInBackgroundWithBlock({ (objects, error) -> Void in

if let users = objects {

self.contactsUsernameArray.removeAll(keepCapacity: false)
                    self.contactsNameArray.removeAll(keepCapacity: false)
                    self.contactsImageFiles.removeAll(keepCapacity: false)
                    self.contactsNumberArray.removeAll(keepCapacity: false)

for object in users {

for var i = 0; i < self.phoneNumbers.count - 1; i++ {

if object["phoneNumber"] as! String == self.phoneNumbers[i] {

self.contactsUsernameArray.append(object.username!!)
                                        self.contactsNameArray.append(object["name"] as! String)
                                        self.contactsNumberArray.append(object["phoneNumber"] as! String)
                                        self.contactsImageFiles.append(object["photo"] as! PFFile)

}

}

}

}

self.contactsTable.reloadData()

})

}

2. grandM, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015

grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I do not see a big problem. Once you know how many digits occur after the country code you can separate two blocks: country code and digits. Ditch all non numbers as spaces, plus, brackets etc. Ditching could be done with a simple if clause. Something like

Code:
    var newDigitString: String =""
    for digit in digits {
    if digit in 0...9 { newDigitString.append(digit) }
    }

Could be you only need two points between 0 and 9, I always forget which includes the 9 too.