How to get videos full-screen on iPod Touch (4th Gen)?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JackSpicer0, May 10, 2015.

1. JackSpicer0 macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying a 4th gen iPod touch and I was wondering if it were possible to convert video that will play back in full screen, with no black bars on the top and bottom of the video, on the iPod touch? I know that the resolution of the iPod touch is 960 by 540, with a 3:2 Aspect Ratio.

I know that the iPhone 5s has a resolution of 1136 by 640 and 16:9 Aspect Ratio and I love how widescreen videos on YouTube are able to play in full screen with no black bars.

However, I was wondering if this is possible to do on the 4th gen iPod touch and instead of YouTube, I will convert videos to be played back on the iPod touch.

I have both a Mac running Mavericks and a "PC" running Windows 7. Both computers have HandBrake installed.

Thanks!

2. Unami, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

Unami macrumors 6502a

the ipod should playback videos in it's native aspect ratio of 3:2 ( 960x640 ).

you have to crop your video, so you will lose some parts of the picture on the sides.

to do this in handbrake, click on picture settings, select "none" from the "anamorphic" pulldown. select "custom" under "cropping" .
    determine the resolution of your final video and put in your values.

e.g. if your source video is in fullhd 1920x1080, divide 1080 by 2 and multiply by 3. you now have a 3:2 resolution of 1620x1080. (vertical resolution stays the same, sides get cut off) split the difference between this and your original footage by two and insert this number in the crop values.

for a 1920x1080 video, you should now have values of 1620 for width, a height of 1080 and each 150 on the right and left crop value.

this works only with videos that have a anamorphic pixel ratio of 1:1 - for other aspect ratios or anamorphic pixel ratio you have to adjust your math.