How to get watch in pairing mode

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Newtons Apple, May 23, 2016.

1. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Today for no reason my watch was showing the little red phone with a slash going through it so it lost contact with the iphone on my side at all times. Problem is that I told the iPhone to unpair and it did and it ready to repair with the watch but the watch is just telling the time and not able to get it in the pairing mode.

How do I get the watch to want to pair again?

My Rolex never did this to me!!!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've had that happen and simply re-booting both devices fixes it. You've done this?

3. Newtons Apple thread starter Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yes. Rebooted both. iPhone still is wanting to pair but I can not get the watch to go into pair mode. The watch looks like it is still connected to my iPhone yet the BT no longer shows it in the list of devices.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2016 ---
    Watch is showing connected. Says "Connected" so it is connected to my office WiFi.

Battery has now lost about 20% in the last hour.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2016 ---
    OK, Did a watch reset and we are now able to repair with my iPhone.

Do not know why this happened but it is not comforting that it could happen again without a warning.

If it does it again it will be a call to get it replaced via AC+

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd do the following (in order):

1) Reset the Network Settings on iPhone (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and see if it'll pair.

2) Factory reset the AW and restore from backup.

5. Newtons Apple thread starter Suspended

Newtons Apple

Resetting the watch did it. Brought it back to pairing mode and all seems well but have lost a good bit of trust that it will not happen again.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The wOS is still a bit buggy (although not as buggy as some versions of iOS we've had in the past). Fortunately, rebooting both devices, unpairing and re-pairing, or factory resetting the AW resolves the vast majority of these bugs.

As for myself, I've had my AW lost contact with iPhone several times and all I've needed to do was re-boot one or both devices.

7. Newtons Apple thread starter Suspended

Newtons Apple

For all keeping track of their health, this would have ruined any record as resetting is hard on the stats.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily because the AW makes backups to iPhone on a regular basis and it'll make a last second backup when you unpair it. Should it get stuck and you reset it, you'll restore from this last second backup. However, all these times my AW lost contact (which aren't very many), simply re-booting fixed it and I didn't have to resort to resetting it.

9. Newtons Apple thread starter Suspended

Newtons Apple

My watch was not connected to my iPhone for hours and I lost everything for those 3-4 hours after resetting.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not sure why simply re-booting both devices didn't fix it (assuming you did this before you resorted to unpairing the AW). That's certainly out of the norm.

11. Newtons Apple thread starter Suspended

Newtons Apple

As I indicated in my previous post, rebooting both did not fix my problem.

12. JayLenochiniMac, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Now you and everyone else reading this will know to reset it and restore right away if re-booting or unpairing/re-pairing doesn't fix the problem in order to minimize health/fitness record lost.