How to get widgets

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by johnoporritt, Nov 9, 2010.

1. johnoporritt macrumors member

How do I get mail, weather, ect widgets on my home screen. I have an iPhone 4 running iOS4.1 Thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You need to have a jailbroken phone to install much of what you see (especially in this specific forum). There are many winterboard themes out there that have widget options, with Weather being the most popular IMO.

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Or if you're a HTML + JSS coder, you can make your own themes.

But widgets are essentially 'interactive' or at least 'live' themes.

5. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

A widget (the type you're referring to) is simply an html page that, with the help of winterboard, basically acts as your homescreen wallpaper. Most widgets are wallpaper dependent, which means that they need some kind of background to float above. Most of the widget functions, such as date and time and weather, are coded with javascript. The formatting is handled through CSS. If you know anything about coding, you can easily make your own widget. You can find a lot of widgets floating around on Cydia (a decent one is WeatherFurik, although it's horribly coded/arranged and will most likely just confuse you when you try to customize it), but really the best place for widgets that I've found is dbarteam. They have a lot of very skilled coders/theme artists and produce some of the best widgets I've seen.

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

The designers over at macthemes make pretty good lockscreen widget type things too.