How to get WiFi from ISP provider?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ESPN, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ESPN macrumors regular

I have a internet plan with Verizon, however I access internet by plugging a ethernet cable.

How would I make able to establish wifi with this plan or does have wifi require a special plan from ISP.

I have heard of a wireless router, how does that fit in to my plan?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

You connect the wireless router to the ethernet cable or modem and establish a wireless network and then connect your Mac to the wireless network.
    Maybe the AirPort Express would suffice your needs, as it is simple to setup and doesn't require technical knowledge.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You are really confused.

First let us know what "internet plan" did you get? Is it the FIOS plan or DSL? You answer and if Verizon gave you a "router" let us know. Plus do get a wireless router, that is what creates wireless wi-fi connections.

4. ESPN thread starter macrumors regular

Verizon's most basic DSL package

I have a router, i doubt it is wireless since I plug a yellow ethernet cable in to the computer for web service.

Would this be a wireless router i would buy?

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

All you need is a Router that serves a Wifi signal - your ISP doesn't care whether you have it or not. Something like this would work fine, I would think, but compare a bit first. I would recommend the Siemans model I have, but its a couple years old by now.

If you use a Mac, you can turn on Internet Sharing in System Preferences to create a fast hot spot for quick web access; but it won't work quite as smoothly as a permanent wifi solution though.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The best router I've ever owned... was a Belkin 54g and they aren't expensive at all. Stay away from Netgear.

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Your ISP is just that, your Internet Service Provider. So, obviously they provide you with access to the Internet through a router. Whether you connect directly to the router via a cable (Ethernet) or not (WiFi) is up to you, your ISP just gives you connectivity.

Most WiFi capable routers will have antennas, or if you look under them (the routers) you'll see something like "SSID" and "WEP password", and so on... if so, it's a WiFi enabled router.. but very few routers without antennas are actually WiFi capable so I doubt yours is. You can get any router nowadays at an electronics store and it will most likely be able to broadcast your network throughout WiFi. After that, you'll have to configure it slightly for it to work properly, call your ISP to help you out and you'll be set :)

8. ESPN thread starter macrumors regular

Thank for the help, I usually don't order online though, perhaps you can help me with my choice.

I was actually considering Netgear before, what trouble has Netgear cost you?

So currently I have this modem

[​IMG]

So all I would have to do is buy a wireless router, get some instructions and follow them ;) and it should be able to create a wireless connection with my modem?

If any of you can take a few minutes to choose a basic wireless router for me, it would be create. I do have a local Staples store near my home so I am inclined to purchase from them.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&fromUrl=home

Would wireless n or g routers be a better choice, Wireless G doesnt appear on the site so I assume they are outdated, my modem should be compatible with both kinds of routers.

I dont want any fancy stuff since my DSL isnt that fast nowadays anyways...

I'd appreciate all the help from all of you guys for helping out a newb :D

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You always want a router of some sort behind the modem. It will work as a hardware firewall and block people trying to access your network.

When you set up a wireless network make sure to lock it down and protect it so people can't drive by and hack you.

a,b,g,n, are just speeds and all of them will work with current computers, the modem doesn't care about any of it as it is just a pass through.

11. ESPN thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will actually considering that, this just boosts the chances.
    I appreciate the info, my net isn't that fast so I guess g will work fine.

Isn't there an option to shut off the wifi network when I'm not using it? or can hackers use my internet even if I'm not using the router.

By this I mean pulling the plug and disconnecting the modem from the router so there will be no network connections what so ever.

-nice avatar, waiting for the 500 post count to add my own sports avatar :D

12. mscriv, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

If you set up a password to protect your network you shouldn't need to unplug it. Most networks are encrypted with WPA security which should be sufficient as long as you pick a strong password. WEP has fallen out of favor as WPA is more secure.

I may have missed it, but what devices will you be using on the wifi network? Laptop, Smartphone, tablet, etc. ?

If you use a desktop machine as well you will want to make sure you pass the signal through from the wireless router to the desktop using one of the LAN (local area network) ports. The word router implies multiple access ports, but I just wanted to make sure you understood that because most manufacturers also sell Wireless Access Points that simply serve to broadcast the signal and don't have LAN ports.