How to get Win7 64-bit to recognize iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jgayman, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jgayman macrumors member

My iPhone4 arrived today and I plugged it into my Dell Precision T1500 running Win7 64-bit. It recognized that a new device was attached and gave the usual "configuring your device" message. After a few seconds it errored with the message "your device is not working properly". So I reattached it to my Latitude laptop which is running XP Pro and this time it recognized the iPhone4 and I was able to proceed with the activation.

I don't remember reading anywhere about issues with the iPhone on Win7. Is this a known issue? I'm not having trouble with any other USB devices I have used (printers, thumb drives, hard drives, scanner, etc.).

Thanks. - John

2. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use 3 64-bit Win 7 machines and haven't had any issues connecting my iPhone. I assume you have iTunes installed?

3. jgayman thread starter macrumors member

Yep, sure do. Windows displayed the classic dialog for recognizing a new device except at the end insteading of saying "device is ready for use", it said "device is not working properly.

I am tempted to try it again. Are there any issues with connecting the same iPhone to two different iTunes installations on different computers?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i wonder if the format of the iPhone has anything to do with it. if its formatted as HFS (a mac format) or something similar then it will cause problems as Windows cannot read it.

5. celticpride678

It'll just say that you have to erase

6. jgayman thread starter macrumors member

What does that mean? I'm an iPhone newbie. :)

7. the gman macrumors member

may sound daft but have you tried a different usb port? mine does it now and again

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

erase the iphone completely (all data is lost) then start again.

9. jgayman thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the system has four in front. I have the phone up and running from the iTunes installation on my XP Pro laptop. I don't want to cause issues by connecting it to a second iTunes instance on the other machine.

10. draz macrumors 6502a

Have you tried reinstalling iTunes?

I've had no problems with my Win 7 64bit machine to recognize my phone, which worked fine on Windows XP before and had no probs on an OSX Snow Leopard machine either without the need for firmware restores or anything related.

Could be a problem with your iTunes, might want to check there.

11. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would reinstall iTunes. The iPhone drivers come packaged into iTunes and the problem is similar to that of a drivers problem.

12. the gman macrumors member

yea re-install itunes dude, i had an issue recently where my machine wouldnt restore any iphone just hung on 99% a re-install fixed it.

make sure your remove everything "apple" in windows control panel first

13. St8kout macrumors regular

I just googled it and it says Gigabyte just issued a bios update because their motherboard was causing this sync problem, so check Dell's website for similar updates. The are pretty good at issuing updates for any problems.

Other than that my system with Win7 64-bit works just fine with my iphone.

14. jgayman thread starter macrumors member

I finally had a chance to try my phone again with the Win7 system and this time is worked fine. Same USB port. Go figure. While I was at it I figured I might as well also try it with the second instance of iTunes. It worked fine. I was able to sync and backup the phone on both the desktop Win7 instance of iTunes and the laptop XP Pro instance. So there does not appear to be any problem with connecting the same phone to multiple instances of iTunes.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions.