How to get Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BStudley35, Jun 23, 2009.

1. BStudley35 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Well I love my MBP, but I would like to play some Windows based games. I would like to use Windows 7 via bootcamp because I hear that this version of Windows runs quite well in bootcamp. However, I do not know how to get a copy of Windows 7.

Where can I get a copy of Windows 7 to install and use for bootcamp?

Thanks,
    Brendan

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Buy it when it comes out. No piracy on these forums dude.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

So would I just download that and save it to a DVD??

Or just download it and then run it...I'm not quite sure what to do.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Download it and burn it to a DVD... then follow the instructions in Bootcamp and you'll be running the world's most advanced OS in no time!

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yea, and don't forget to get the 62 bit (since you are using boot camp)!

I had one concern- I tried it myself and when I click the GO button to proceed with the download (from this page http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx), the green circle-y thing just spins round and round. I waited 2 hours and the page was still loading. I logged in to the Live server and everything, but it just would not load the download page. :confused: I'm not sure what's going on. Does anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

Good luck, Brendan!:cool:

7. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone! i am working on getting all of that done now...

airplaneman,
    that happened to me the first time i tried to download it. here's what i did to fix it.
    sign out of your windows live account. then come back to this page and click on the link which "edesignuk" provided. start the entire thing over again, and it'll ask you to sign into your account, and from there, just follow the instructions.

8. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

for whatever reason, it only works in firefox for me.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

10. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

wouldn't call it the most advanced OS, it still has registry issues and driver corruption issues. I've re-installed 32-bit and 64-bit on my macbook pro three times now because of those issues. Maybe the most advanced Windows. Its phenomenally fast and slick, but not the most advanced, IMO.

11. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

when it is done downloading, how do i get it onto a DVD? I have a blank DVD ready, but I wasn't sure if there was a certain procedure to follow when putting an OS onto one. Will I need a special program?

12. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

What do you do to it to give it registry issues? Or driver issues? I have never, ever, ever had to reinstall Windows due to driver or registry issues, just boot to safe mode and uninstall the busted driver or use a registry cleaner to tidy up the registry.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Open Disk Utility, drag the ISO to the left column. Burn.

14. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!! Sorry for asking such a basic question, this is my first mac after years of PC use.

15. Mac & Beanz macrumors newbie

When the RC expires in 2010 - I understand that you will need to purchase the Windows 7 (or XP or Vista) program and do a complete install of the new program.

How hard will it be to uninstall 7 RC and do a fresh install of (whatever) OS you decide to go with?

Thank you.

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Format the partition and install, theres no uninstalling an OS.

17. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have successfully installed Windows 7 via bootcamp! thanks for all your help everyone! Couldn't have done it right without you.

Because I will be doing some gaming...how do I know whether or not the 9600GT graphics card is being used or not while in Windows 7?
    I am using a MBP, 17", 2.8ghz, 9400 and 9600 graphics cards.

18. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

It's being used. Just be sure to get the latest video driver for it. I wasn't sure if you were using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win7, so here's a link to both.

32-bit
    64-bit

19. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the 64 bit version. Everything runs very well in bootcamp :D It seems to get just a tad warm to the touch though...

20. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

My suggestion would be to make a snapshot backup and then do a fresh install like stainless is mentioning. when installing, use the snapshot to re-install everything and you should be good.

However, I'm not sure if this is the case with saving a snapshot of files and everything on Vista or RC1 for example, and then moving to the W7 final version... thoughts?

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, that's definitely something that you need to remember: The RC expires at the beginning of March, and dies three months later.

22. Mac & Beanz macrumors newbie

Thank you

I have a early '09 iMac (24" / 2.66) and will be installing Win 7 RC via bootcamp - should I use the 32-bit or 64-bit download? I know you guys stated that 64-bit was ok for the MBP - but am unsure about my iMac.

Thanks again!

23. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Windows 7RC 64 bit

Posted message in a new thread, delete this message.

24. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

So there's Windows 7; Home, Pro & Ultimate. Which are 64bit and which would offer the best bootcamp gaming experience?