How to get Windows or whatever

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cRz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. cRz macrumors newbie

sorry I'm very inexperienced with Mac. How do I get Windows so I can download Audition. Do I need windows to get Audition? redbana.com btw.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You don't need windows to get it, but you need windows to run it.

You can get it by going to any local technology store and asking for a copy of windows. Expect to spend around $100 though.

3. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Walmart and any major department store with an electronics section should have Home Premium and maybe Professional. You can purchase a key and download an .iso file online as well.

4. hotgrease macrumors regular

Note that you can do a full clean install of windows with an upgrade version, which is cheaper than the full version. You just need to qualify as an upgrade (which is generally just owning a prior version of windows, but I'm not sure on the details). You can also buy an OEM version for less than a retail copy if you need the full version.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Installing the OS twice from an upgrade disc will fool the OS into thinking that it's a valid upgrade. There's also a registry entry that can be flipped to accomplish the same thing.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Might as well go for the "free" internet version in this case.

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I don't think the OP is asking for instructions on purchasing Windows. I think s/he is asking about installing it on a Mac...

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

There's an application on your MBP called BootCamp. Get a windows install DVD and run Bootcamp, it's pretty self explanatory after that. ;)

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Not necessarily. I have a legit copy of Windows 7 upgrade, and a legit license of Windows XP. Do I really want to install XP and then upgrade to 7 on my Mac? No way... what's the point? Nothing illegal done. If nothing else, it's a good tip for reinstallation.

It's like the Snow Leopard thing. The $30 version was an upgrade version, but not everyone who bought it was actually upgrading from Leopard.