How to get Word docs from email attachments

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ellen G., Nov 16, 2008.

1. Ellen G. macrumors newbie

I loaded Office for Mac on my friend's Mac Mini. There was a "complimentary" Office for Mac on the Mini, but it was a temporary version.

Now, when we try to get a document from an email, instead of just opening, we get a prompt to choose the correct application to open the file.

How do I make Word the default program that opens Word docs that come as attachments in emails?

Thanks,

Ellen

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

If you still have a copy of Word on the computer, when the prompt says 'choose application' to open attachment browse for Word and choose it.

If you don't have Word, then Pages or Open Office can open .docs as well as Text Edit if necessary.

You only have to do this once and after this all like attachments will be opened the same way.

Edit: I was assuming OSX's Mail app.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Navigate to the Applications folder and open up the Office Trial folder. There ought to be a Remove Office link in there. Run the uninstaller, empty the trash afterwards. There shouldn't be a problem anymore after that unless you've set a different application to open those file formats by default.

4. Ellen G. thread starter macrumors newbie

Confused

Thanks for your advice.

I did delete the program. How do I uninstall, if I deleted it? :confused: