how to get your $200 iPhone money back from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by McGiord, Sep 5, 2007.

1. McGiord, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Even the new prices have everyone without an iPhone very happy, I would like to start this thread by asking the community about the different ways how we could approach Apple to obtain our $200 back (8Gb).
    Anyone who knows and master the consumers rights and anti ripoffs legislations?
    ________
    herb scales

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

How on earth could this be considered a ripoff, necessitating some "anti ripoff legislations?"

3. milo macrumors 604

Good luck with that. If you bought it in a recent enough window, they'll probably just refund it if you ask nicely. If you bought it two months ago, you're probably out of luck.

What "right" do you have in mind that would somehow entitle you to your money back?

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I don't understand why everyone feels they have the right to be angry. Apple drops the price on one of their products and everyone gets angry? :confused:

Were you expecting Steve to know you were going to buy an iPhone, call you, and whisper to you that they'd be dropping the price in a few weeks?

Honestly guys.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

By the same logic, people would be throwing parties in the streets if Apple decided to raise the price. I don't get it. I really don't.

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Good Grief.

7. overcast macrumors 6502a

I'd start with learning to spell and use grammar properly.

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I'd say this is where the phrase "Buyer Beware" comes from. How is it Apple's fault that you chose to be an early adopter? Everybody knows that Apple lowers its prices shortly after introduction (or with the introduction of new features), the degree to which they do it is always a question.

Live and learn, don't blame Apple.

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I bought my wife a new MacBook less than two months before they updated it with a faster processor and larger hard drive.

I think I'm entitled to a refund for the amount of the monetary difference of those components.

10. unity macrumors 6502a

To those who "dont get it".

The price dropped 33% just TWO months after release while demand is still percieved as high. That is the problem. $100 maybe most could swallow, but its $200 just shortly after release. It also not as if they released a bigger model to take the price point spot.

So its not as if we deserve a refund, although it would be nice if they did what they did with Apature ang gave a $200 gift card to those who had spent $599.

It just sucks and we have the right to complain. For those who don't want to hear it, simply ignore the thread!

11. overcast macrumors 6502a

Yeh I bought a car in November and they had the nerve to release a new model year!

You knew what you were buying at the priced you paid. What is the mystical amount of time that would have to expire, before you no longer felt entitled to compensation? Like after 2 months, you no longer feel anger? Or is it three? Use your brain will you.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm in the "quit complaining" camp, but that said...

A free/reduced upgrade to Leopard would make my day!

13. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

That's not quite how this forum works. ;)

Everybody has a right to say whatever they want on the topic, and there are many of us who disagree with the sentiment that people are entitled to something because of the price drop. Does it suck? Of course it sucks. But Apple isn't in the business of trying to appease everybody who buys their products when the price drops.

14. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Look at it this way...the lower the price the more people will buy them, the more people buy them, the more people Apple has to please, the more people apple has to please, the higher the likelihood of software updates that actually do more than "bug fixes", the more software updates, the better our amazing iPhone becomes, the better and better our iPhone becomes, the happier we are as owners :)

15. gr8ful macrumors member

Don't hold your breath waiting on that refund. Maybe Apple will give you a sizeable discount on the mobile version of iWork when it comes out. Ooops! Did I say that?

16. seattle macrumors 6502

Found this on fatwallet.com forums.

"Someone also just posted on the Apple.com forum thread this for those who bought their iphones in a retail store (can't confirm if it's true though):

http://discussions.Apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1115485&tstart=0

I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ONE OF THE HEADS OVER AT APPLE THEY SAID THEY UNDERSTAND EVERYONE CURRENT IPHONE CUSTOMERS DISSAPOINTMENT..

A $200 REBATE FORM WILL BE ADDED ON APPLE WITHIN THE WEEK AND ITS A REQUEST FOR A $200 REBATE!

YOU'RE ALL SAVED

EDIT..i wrote down as much as I could

"Right now we're reviewing the overwhelming response of the iPhone's price cut, and had no idea it would result in over powering the news of our new iPod family, thus tarnishing this memorable day. As a result we are happily willing to give a $200 3 week rebate if your phone was purchased inside a retail store."

I also confirmed

"Once posted the rebate form will remain open for 7 days, giving a week for current iPhone customers to apply; after 1 week, we will not process any new rebate requests"

that is from Mark Miller one of APPLE Inc's marketing heads."

17. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Hooray for internet speculation and rumors! I'm on the right forum!

18. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Sweet, where do we get these rebate forms?

19. mpw Guest

Just for yous

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

What does 3 week rebate mean though? It has to been within 3 weeks?

21. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

And the Kool-Aid that goes with this tale?

22. milo macrumors 604

Of course you have the right to complain. What I take issue with is the notion that apple somehow owes anyone anything or that anyone's "rights" are being infringed.

And of course we have a right to express our disagreement with the complaints.

23. McGiord, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

some tips

Thanks for all the messages, here are some tips:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/05/apple-screwed-you-so-now-what/

From www.modmyiphone.com :
    "
    ________
    Toyota Technological Institute

24. machomer macrumors regular

Another Way to Get $200 back Credit Card Price Gaurantee

Many credit cards have price guarantees for purchases, so this might be another route. Check the protection period offered by your credit card.

More details, see the thread from FatWallet

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/762417/

25. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

sdfgsdfg

I bought an 8 gigger release day, and sure, I'm a little bummed that the price dropped so hard so soon.

But I got over it, and you all should too. My god, get a life! Its a phone, you knew what you were buying at the price you bought it at. They are welcome to change that price to what ever they feel is right.

If you are out of your 14 days, you aren't entitled to a refund. Doesn't get any simpler then that.