How To Get Your Itunes on mac osx to be equivalent on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maiden24, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Maiden24 macrumors newbie

Okay so before everyone starts to say search before you post a new topic. I searched about this and im confused i saw various methods. I want to have the same library on mac and windows 7. Also, when i add music to my mac library will it automatically loads the new music into my windows side.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Havn't done this myself, but I found some brief instructions here:

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=934

"This is easy. Store your files on a FAT32-formatted volume, and use iTunes for Windows to access them. To access them via iTunes for OSX without making a duplicate copy, just open iTunes Advanced Preferences and uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to music library.""

or

"There is another way to share iTunes's Library in both OSs. First, set the Windows version to use a volume in a FAT32 partition. Then, open Terminal.app, and do the following (inside OS X of course).

cd Music
    mv iTunes Backup
    ln -s /Volumes/[INSERT FAT32 PARTITION NAME HERE]/[path/to/iTunes/library/from/windows] iTunes

Then, all apps will be able to see your iTunes library (such as iLife apps) and you can still share the library in both OSs."

3. Maiden24 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have macdrive on windows 7 i think u could do it like that? i just want the easiest way. i don't want any of music to be gone

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There is an approach (IIRC at iLounge) that uses links to make the Mac and Windows libraries the same file. The issue with it is that it has to rebuild the library every time you switch OSes. Fine for manageable libraries, less so for huge ones like mine.

B

5. Maiden24 thread starter macrumors newbie