how to go about fixing slow jailbroken 3g Iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Pjoseph, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Pjoseph macrumors member

I jailbroke my 3G Iphone about a year ago using PwnageTool_3.1
    I have not done any apple updates on my phone or itunes since I jailbroke it.
    I have a total of 50 apps on my phone, i maybe use about 12 of them daily.
    the problem is my phone is now getting too slow so I want find out the best way to fix this. when I now use my maps app the blue dot does not keep up anymore.
    Info:
    AT&T
    capacity 6.9GB
    Avail 1.8GB
    Version 3.1
    modem firmware 5.11.07
    I have cydia, rock, icy

if someone can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it. thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Restore the phone to 3.1.3 again, and start a fresh.

4. Pjoseph thread starter macrumors member

Thanks
    so should i first restore the phone back to original and start like its a new cell then jailbreak it again?

Also should I update my phone once I restore it before i jailbreak it?

thanks

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Yes restore to 3.1.3 and then set the phone up as new. If you really want to keep your messages etc. you can manually pull out the data with something like MobileSync Browser or something else (google the guide for the relevant data that you want to pull out).

Then restore to 3.1.3 , and set up as a new phone. Then jailbreak with Jailbreakme.com

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Update to at least a 3G S. The 3G is just a dog on 4.x. Hell it's a dog on 3.x compared to a 3G S.

7. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I fail to see how this is helpful advice, if the OP could upgrade to 'at least a 3GS', one would assume that he or she would have done so, yet he or she has not, and therefore wanted help with making his 3G slightly more useful and being told "oh just buy a new phone" is hardly useful for someone who wants to speed up their 3G.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can restore and jailbreak in one swoop.
    When I owned a 3G, I started with DFU, option-restore to 3.1.3, kicked it out of DFU with recboot and then jb with redsnow. Go to iclarified. For some reason, they don't include the kicking out of recovery step after the restore, but I recommend it.

I like the 3G, because I was still able to downgrade without the need of SHSH blobs. The newer phones are a little more precarious and require a "here be monsters" warning for jb newbies. 3G is almost newbie proof.

9. Pjoseph thread starter macrumors member

10. Pjoseph thread starter macrumors member

For the apps that I currently have in itunes can I just copy those into a folder on my desktop, restart my iphone like it is new and than jailbreak it again.
    can I then just drag those apps that I want to keep back into itunes.
    these apps are the ones that work on a jailbroken phone not from itunes.

thanks

11. Pjoseph thread starter macrumors member

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you dont drag and drop JB packages and it doesnt really work the way you think either with itunes apps.
    You gotta sync the itunes apps back thru itunes and then reinstall the cydia apps again after you JB.