How to go about getting new screen? :P

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Doju, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I'm not too big on the screen on this MB. How could I go about getting the new one akin to the MBA's?

I bought mine in January, is there anyway I can get a replacement (totally new [if refurbished], not repaired)? And if I did, would it have the new screen or would they stick me with the old screen?

The keyboard on this thing is annoying. The spacebar is really squeaky. I have an Apple wireless keyboard with virtually the same keyboard and that spacebar is a hell of a lot quieter and firmer. This thing literally squeaks.

In February when I first brought it up they offered me a replacement, but I didn't want to lose it for a week over something so miniscule, now, though, I wouldn't mind.

How could I do it? Is it possible? They've replaced my iPhone tons without offering to repair it, can we do the same with the MB? (Don't they automatically offer you a new one on the third replacement, this being my third?) Cheers.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I was just thinking of doing the same thing...going to my local Apple store, showing them the washout on my screen's lower portion compared to an updated MB, and asking for a 9C8A replacement unit....hmm

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Since it was discovered Apple has finally owned up to the poor panels it seems there are a lot of people coming forward with issues with their machines. Tilted keys, squeaky keyboards, weird play on the hinge. Anything not relating to the screen will get you a new keyboard, hinge, etc. I don't know if you can get a new MB out of much of your issues. Apple certainly isn't ready to own up entirely to this and recall the product.

Good luck on this one.

5. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

I was thinking since it was a silent update they'd be more likely to include it in refurb models without caring, as it really wasn't an update, just a change. I doubt they'd make sure I go out with the same screen model?

Any others?

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

only way to find out is to ask. none of us can really answer that unless you find a member that asked and got approved or denied. :eek:

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you can find a good black and white movie that shows washout and or poor contrast on your screen, use that to make your case with the apple store genius.

I got a first gen 2.0 macbook with a washed out screen, and i played the october notebook even on quicktime to make my case. My unit was exchanged.

8. Ashhong macrumors member

i went to store with my tilted keys 6 months ago and they wouldnt do anything.

if you guys want to ensure a display replacement...push in the apple on the lid. make it so the glue separates and the apple can be pushed in. mine actually became like that on its own, and i just sent it in. he said they would be replacing the whole top display.

i had no idea about these display updates though. did Apple recently fix the poor contrast on these?

9. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

comparable to mbp. i have one.

10. Ashhong macrumors member

thats awesome. i didnt mind the poor viewing angles of it, but if they send me a new screen with my repair i would be ecstatic.

if they do send me a macbook with a new display, would the part number be updated to reflect this? or would the computer not recognize that its a different part?

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In the color profiles, it would read 9CA5/7/8 if it were one of the new panels. I think the 7 and 8 are the best of the bunch. Right now, you have either 9C89 or 9C8C.

To see what type you have, you'd go to System Preferences-->Displays-->Color-->Open Profile, and then click on field 13 in the lower pane that comes up. If you're using a color profile created in SuperCal however, this field may not exist, I know it doesn't for my custom color profile, but if I switch to one I made using the built-in Calibration tool, I have the screen data there. The screen type in this field will actually be shown as "00009C89" or "00009C8C". Also, if you're using a profile downloaded from here by somebody, it'll show their screen model in the field, so check with one you created/was loaded on the computer when you purchased it.

12. youssefm macrumors 6502

I'm really hoping they replace my screen also, I am so fed up with this washed out screen.

13. Ashhong macrumors member

Well i already sent in my macbook. im just wondering if the new panels would be recognized in OSX, or if it would just say the old panel numbers even if i got the new panel.

14. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If I had known that Apple would so easily just change the screens, I wouldn't have sold my base Alu MB that I bought in March for such a big loss. :mad:

15. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

There are in fact four of the new screens:

9CA5 - LG-Philips
    9CA6 - Samsung
    9CA7 - Chi Mei
    9CA8 - AUO

Having seen quite a few myself, except the 9CA7, I would say you'll hope to get either the 9CA5 & 9CA8. The best is the 9CA8 IMO. By all means, avoid a 9CA6, if possible. I should know because I have a crappy 9CA6 in my 2 week old new 2.4GHz Alu MB, bought to replace the one I sold. :( Good luck. :)

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you create a calibrated color profile with the new panel using the built in tool, it should tell you which model the replacement panel is.

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Are u saying you sold your MB with the older screen and got a new screen and you aint happy with it as well?

18. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Yes, I sold my 1st base Alu MB & I bought my current 2.4GHz MB (my 3rd) because I'm very sure about the screen quality having "drive all over the place" to visit Apple stores & stores that sell MBs to see the current screens. I am very lucky & manage to see quite a number of the newer screens (all 9CA5 & 9CA8), so decide to fork out the money to get one more Alu MB. :)

Unfortunately, I got the new 9CA6 (Samsung) but it has got all the typical Samsung characteristics that I'm not happy about & which I'm not going to discuss (it may affect my resale value as I'm thinking of selling it). :( If you've gone through lots of notebooks (not only Apple notebooks), you'll know what I'm talking about with regards to Samsung notebook screens. I would have gone back to request an exchange or refund but after buying this MB, I had an urgent matter to attend to & had to go overseas for a couple of weeks, so now I'm SOL again since I'm past the 14 day return policy. Worse of all, I opened the box only after I returned from my trip. :( I just cannot believe my amazingly "good" luck as the new 9CA5 & 9CA8 are "all over the place" & yet I get this "funky" new 9CA6. :eek: Maybe I'm fated to live with a not as good screen. :( My advise to everyone is to avoid the 9CA6, if possible. :)

I've also got another 2.4GHz Alu MB (my 2nd) with the older 9C8C screen that I'm selling at another forum (I don't have enough posts to post in the "MarketPlace" section of this great forum). If anyone interested, let me know & I'll send you the link. :)

19. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

20. iKatianarie macrumors member

Hey, if I were to buy mine (the base aluminum model) within this week at best buy, what do you think my chances are of getting a new screen?

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

Problematic - you don't know how long it's sat on the shelf.

22. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Same. :p