How to go back to ML?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by rick snagwell, Apr 26, 2014.

1. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

so im just not happy with mavericks, seems just more problematic for me.

can someone point me how to go back to a freshie of ML, or if that is unavailable, a fresh mavericks might help.

thanks everyone!

2. simsaladimbamba

You have to do a Clean Install of either OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion do get to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or if you want to start fresh with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, you have to do a Clean Install of that.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Redownload ML from the App Store and do not start the install. Now use this free app along with a 8GB USB key to make a ML installer. Then option key boot to the USB installer.

Once the recovery screen comes up launch Disk Utility and select the drive brand name at the very top of the list (above Macintosh HD) and erase the entire disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Now quit Disk Util and install the OS.

4. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

awesome, thanks. i only have 2 4gb usb flash drives. guess i gotta go buy an 8.

anyway to do with a dvd-r?

5. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

also, i download ML in the 'purchases' area of appstore. it competed download and stated it could not be installed on this computer, which i know. but where does it download too?

6. simsaladimbamba

Look into your Applications folder for a file called "Install Mountain Lion".
    The rest should be done via the Weaselboy linked to. And there are plenty of guides out there on how to do a clean install of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes you can use a DVD. Just follow this.

Diskmaker X will also make a DVD, but I think it might require a dual layer, where the other process does not.

8. lammy1961 macrumors member

My Mac came with OS X Mountain Lion, I would like to go back to it and ditch Mavericks.......I do not see it in the App Store....Only Mavericks.....Any ideas ?

Thanks.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That makes it even easier. Do a command-option-r boot (hold all three at once). You will enter your wifi PW then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads.

Then you will get this screen.

[​IMG]

Launch Disk Util and select the drive brand name at the very top and erase the entire disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). By selected the disk itself and not just Macintosh HD, you are also erasing the Mavs recovery partition along with everything on the drive.

Then quit Disk Util and click Reinstall OS. That will DL and install Mountain Lion that came with your system.

Internet Recovery like this will always get you back to whatever came from the factory.

10. lammy1961 macrumors member

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go this weekend.

11. Serban Suspended

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not for sale any longer in the App Store. If you previously purchased ML, it will still be in your purchases list. If you never purchased it and now wish to, you can buy it from Apple here for $19.99. They will email you a code you can redeem in the App Store to download Mountain Lion.

13. medic27 macrumors member

I'm not sure, but when you erase your partition, I think you may want to create new partition with same name for time machine restore when whichever OS you chose is finished.

Clean install seems to be the way to go. I wish apple would test their os pass the install process, like actually use it to see the issues before releasing.