how to go from dvi to Mini DisplayPort??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by guitarliketom, Oct 14, 2008.

1. guitarliketom macrumors member

I am 90% sure i am getting one of the new lcd's when they are finally out for my mbp. when do you think they will issue dvi to MDP connectors? i have found the other way around, but nothing what us old MBP users need.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, I'll second that - I'm sure there will be 3rd party adapters though if it's possible.

4. guitarliketom thread starter macrumors member

i am starting to side with the two of you.. All i ever wanted was a cinema with isight on it, and apple may have majorly dropped the ball on this one...

5. coolchan macrumors newbie

I can't find an adapter on google. But people didn't need one before. I found this bit on wikipedia though:

Dual-mode DisplayPort is capable of backward compatibility with single link DVI/HDMI (active converter adapters or dongles are required for dual link DVI and analog VGA).

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

AFAIK, no one makes one yet. While it can be done, DVI to DisplayPort adapters will all require active circuitry - not just a passive connector converter like DVI to HDMI. It can be done, but I bet they'll be in the $100 range for a while.

7. Tourist macrumors member

While DVI to/from Displayport is probably doable, what I am worried about is that Displayport is setting itself up as a competing standard to HDMI, and this is going to fork the whole computer/media centre/Big A$$ TV trend,

If Apple upgrade the Mini (Yes, There are such ever hopeful ppl out there :) and replace the current output with a displayport there are going to be alot of really steamed big screen TV owners

we need to be assured that Displayport to/from HDMI ia a) possible but more importantly b) realistically priced

Anyone game to roll into a Apple Store and put them on the spot by asking to buy a new Macbook on the condition they have an adapter that allows it to plug into a standard HDMI TV? :)

8. Knolly macrumors 6502a

So the adapter is possible, but Apple or someone needs to make it since the Mini DisplayPort system came out today...

9. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It is NOT proprietary. DisplayPort is a new standard that should replace VGA and DVI. Several companies, like Dell (see the 2408WFT) already have a displayport interface.

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

DisplayPort isn't, but the Mini DisplayPort interface might be.

12. sal macrumors 6502

I'll do it. Except I already know what their answer is going to be, "buy the $99 adapter and then a dvi-d to HDMI adapter"

I am planning on getting the new macbook pro but this adapter situation is kind of a downer. I currently have my MBP connected to a nice samsung 37" 1080p set, so it's very important for me to still be able to connect to it. Having to pay an additional 99 for something I can already do, is bothering me. if it were thrown in the box or even an additional 30, I wouldn't have mind. but $99??? Just doesn't feel right.

13. treetop682 macrumors newbie

Can anyone break down the difference between the "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" and the "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter". What is the second cable for on the dual-link adapter (is it audio, power, or something else)? I think its about time to setup a guide/how-to for connecting the new macbooks to the wide array of displays (DisplayPort and HDMI most especially).

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Basically you need a dual-link if you want to connect to a 30" monitor.

15. vlestat macrumors newbie

To be slightly more clear, dual-link DVI is needed whenever you are trying to run a resolution in excess of 1920x1200, as is the case for the 30" Apple Cinema, or Dell, or... the list goes on (anything at 2560x1600). For bigscreen tv owners, the $30 dongle will work fine, as 1080p = 1920x1080.

16. theonetheonly macrumors newbie

Is it out though?

I have the old mac book with the new monitor, and everyone says i can not hook it up till they come out with an adapter. Since they all go from mini to dvi and not the opposite. But with the dual link I can?:confused:

17. McCarron macrumors regular

No your old MacBook will not work with the new monitor without an adapter that doesn't exist, return the monitor before your 30 days are up so you get a full refund. The adapters on the market are currently only to connect the new line of MacBooks onto an older DVI displays.

I don't see why an adapter would require anything special, as DisplayPort (and MiniDisplayPort) is supposed to just be a smaller DVI-D port. Apple has opened it for anyone to make an adapter, just no one has yet because I don't think anyone has fabricated a FEMALE miniDisplayPort end yet. The only place these exist is on the MacBooks themselves, otherwise I would take taken some cable with the female end and spliced it with a DVI cable myself already.

18. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Mini Display port is NOT just a different DVI-D connector. Display port is a completely different signal than DVI so a shape adapter will not work any more than a VGA to HDMI adapter would.

The reason that the new MacBooks can power VGA through their MiniDisplayPort is that Apple has included the circuitry so that the MiniDisplayPort can output DVI or a DisplayPort signal. No DVI port is capable of outputing a DisplayPort signal so a simple adapter is not possible. The only way you could hook up your new monitor to the old MacBook is if someone made an expensive signal converting adapter. But no one does so return the display now as it is useless to you unless you get a new computer.

19. stormtroopar macrumors member

So this begs the question.. with the new Nvidia GTX 285 video card coming out for the Mac this summer, it Only has 2 DVI outputs... So if what this thread said so far is right, then you cannot use this video card AT ALL with the latest 24" Apple LCD display... Is this right?

There are already other threads about the MacPro not being able to use 2 of these new LCD display without having 2 video cards in the system because these displays only have mini-displayports...

This is very very stupid imo if its true..... Why wouldn't they have both DVI and mini-displayport in the new LCDs? Why would they / nvidia want to release a video card that can't support their own LCD product. If anything they would sell a lot more of them i would imagine if they did... It really doesn't make sense to release a high end card that cannot support its high end LCD panels.

Also, why wouldn't any of the latest video cards have 2 mini-display port to properly support dual monitors with Apple LCD. Since mini-displayport to dvi adapters exist, the problem would be solved....

20. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

simple.

b/c Apple want you to buy MORE cards from THEM

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't think Apple's DisplayPort strategy was completely fleshed out at the time of designing the new Mac Pro (on paper, at least).

The MP's video cards should have two mDP ports on them and the machine should have included an mDP-to-DVI adapter (and a VGA one, too) in the box.

As it stands now, since you need two separate video cards to run two 24" LED Cinema Displays, one display - presuming you use one ATI card and one stock level nVidia card - will have lesser performance than the other. I wonder what happens to people who use Motion or Maya in a dual-display config. I would presume performance would suffer if he/she did rendering on one display versus the other.

I use Osirix pretty heavily and that application uses the graphics subsystem to do preview rendering; I'd hate to have to always use one specific monitor versus the other for 3D rendering.

I'm patiently waiting for 30" LED-lit displays to hit the $2000 mark, then I'm upgrading.

22. stormtroopar macrumors member

What you said is possible, but the video cards being from ATI / Nvidia could include or design to include 2 mini-displayport if it was intended. The video cards themselves are not from apple so it doesn't really explain why its not ready or not part of the MacPro package. It just doesn't make sense.

Also, being able to stick 2 cards like that, even lets say 2 GT120, on the PC, you could of at least use it as an SLI, but it seems from what I gather, SLI is not supported on the Mac... So defeats the purpose. I agree, for paying this much money with 2 cards for example, having each monitor perform differently just plain sucks. I really don't know what they [Apple] are thinking with this one. Usually I think their products are pretty well design with great usability imo.. Not sure about this time, I really think they did a poor job on this. All they have to do is release a dvi to mini display port adapter, but from what everyone is suggesting, its not that simple and probably not possible right now.. Just too bad...:confused:

23. interfuse macrumors member

DVI to Mini DisplayPort available yet?

So.... anyone know of an adapter available yet that does DVI connection to Mini DisplayPort? (for example, connecting the new LED 24" screen to an older model MacBook Pro with DVI).

Thx.

24. umgoblue2008 macrumors regular

umgoblue2008

no.

25. AndrewLang macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone, my company (Circuit Assembly) has been getting a flood of e-mails about this adapter because, as far as we know, we are the only ones looking into making it. The problem with it is that DVI to Displayport is not a bi-directional technology. While the adapter currently exists when mini displayport is the source and DVI is the sink, it doesn't exist yet in the reverse direction.

This means we've got to design a new PCB board with the adapter for this cable. We realize the demand for it is huge so we're trying to get it done.

In the meantime I created a blog post where interested people could respond and let us know their need for this adapter so that I can push my managers and engineers to get this product going.

If you're interested in giving us your input, our link is: http://estore.circuitassembly.com/b...displayport-female-to-dvi-male-adapter-cable/

Kindest Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    Circuit Assembly eStore