How to Grid a Picture

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nbd13, Jul 12, 2010.

1. nbd13 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for a FREE program that I can grid a few pictures with. I would love the grid to be 1 mm x 1 mm if possible? If not, then just a grid would be great.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Nick

2. nbd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. How do I know what version of OS X I have? Tiger, leopard or snow leopard? Is there a way I can find out on my Macbook 4,1?

I think I figured out which version I have 10.5.6, so I downloaded GIMP 2.6.8 for Leopard. When I open it, or try to open I should say, it says, "The application gimp-2.6 quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other applications are not affected. Click Relaunch to launch the application again. Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

When I click on Report, this is what is says:

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXdamage.1.dylib
    Referenced from: /tmp/skl/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib
    Reason: Incompatible library version: libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib requires version 3.0.0 or later, but libXdamage.1.dylib provides version 2.0.0

So what does this mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Nick

3. Xavier macrumors 68030

You need to have X11 installed I believe.

It can be found on your Leopard install disc. Its probably on the net as well.

4. nbd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I think I already have X11 installed, it comes with the Leopard system. I found it on my computer already. So, not sure what to do from here?

Nick

5. Xavier macrumors 68030

The requirements read that you need 10.5.7 to run GIMP.

You said you have 10.5.6. Try updating.

6. nbd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect. It is working now. One more question while I have your attention. I have the grid set and can see the grid while I am using the GIMP program, but how to I keep the grid on the picture so I can see it if I open it in another program? I tried saving it while using GIMP with the grid on it and when I open it in another program the grid is gone?

Thanks again,

Nick

7. nbd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Gimp puts the grid on the picture, so it will only show in Gimp. Of course, you could always take a screen shot of the picture with the grid, and that would show in other programs, but then you wouldn't be able to get rid of it.

9. nbd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, is there another free program that puts a permanent grid on the pics?

Nick

10. Xavier macrumors 68030

11. sellweek macrumors newbie