How to handle Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michielfm, May 6, 2012.

1. Michielfm macrumors member

Hy mac'ers

people used to say the best thing for your battery (macbookpro) was to fully charge it and then fully use it and so on..

Now people are starting to say the best is to keep the battery plugged in at 100% as much as possible.

I have always bin using my macbook tot 1% and then recharging it to 100% and then using to 1% .......

Now..
    What is the best for the battery's life?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You absolutely don't need to do this.
    Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

I will have a look! ty

4. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

A friend of mine says that it still is not good to keep the adaptor plugged in because het thinks it causes the temperature of your mac to go to high.
    Is this so?

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The computer will be a bit warmer while the battery is charging, yes, but that's expected. Once it's charged, keeping it connected to the adapter doesn't really produce any extra heat. But as stated in the info GGJ posted before, keeping it plugged in ALL the time isn't healthy for the battery. You need to use it sometimes.

6. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

Yea I see. So the best is to keep it plugged in all the time and then use it down to about 50% percent every 2 tot 3 days to keep the electrons moving?

7. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

The best thing is to use it normally. Like any other laptop ..aometimes battery powered sometimes ac powered

Download coconut battery to check your battery life

8. Michielfm thread starter macrumors member

So what I'm doing now is i'm just keeping it plugged in all the time when i'm working on it and then using is down to about 40% every 2 to 3 days.
    But what to do when I'm not using te mac like when I'm gone to school or when sleeping?

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Don't worry about it. Ever. Just use your Mac. It will handle the battery. The only time you need to specifically take steps to protect your battery is if you're going to be leaving your computer in storage for an extended period of time (1 week or more). In that case, drain to 50% and store it at that level.

jW