Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I agree that people, in general, should be warned if there's a reason to believe they're unaware that they're breaking the rules (and we do warn people, often), and I agree that we sometimes ban people erroneously. But we've usually warned those people in the past, and we usually know more about a situation than the general membership does - sometimes more than the members in question are aware that we know.

But, yes, mistakes are made, and there's a mechanism in place to deal with that, and, if used properly, it usually results in a quick solution to the problem.

As far as post edits go: we edit what we see or what's reported. There's no way we can follow every single post, so it's impossible for the exact same standards to be applied to every post, as we simply do not see every post.

Yeah, that wasn't meant as an accusation. All I was trying to say is that you guys have enough to do that you don't see everything and make mistakes. And I know from personal experience that you guys normally warn before something else, all I am saying is that should be standard. But I know as well as you that it won't be due to all of us only being human. :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I think I'll wait until all the hecklers have spoken. ;)

But even all the FAQs, stickies, and warning stickers in the world still won't help out much.

Though having an "I've been banned, Now What" thread might be a good link for the banned members in the future.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think I'll wait until all the hecklers have spoken. ;)

But even all the FAQs, stickies, and warning stickers in the world still won't help out much.

Though having an "I've been banned, Now What" thread might be a good link for the banned members in the future.
I think a banned walk of shame would work. List all the banned members and let everyone see what they did.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Good post, this definitely needed to be said. Lately there has been a lot of flaming and general nonsense around, luckily it's in the minority and most people here are out to be useful and the trouble makers are dealt with. Keep up the good work I say!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Good post, this definitely needed to be said. Lately there has been a lot of flaming and general nonsense around, luckily it's in the minority and most people here are out to be useful and the trouble makers are dealt with. Keep up the good work I say!
As usual its mostly confined to the Political Forums. It might be time for another "cool down" period.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
As of thus far the rules on MR are rather laid back. Some forums sites will ban you if a Mod or Admin does not like a post of yours (whether it breaks a rule or not). I just don't see that problem here. I think it's a very solid site with 99.98% of all members being fair, honest, good people.

Hey, we are Mac fans after all.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
As usual its mostly confined to the Political Forums. It might be time for another "cool down" period.

Um...I think this is about the gaming forum...there was a user banned because of action in the Political forum, but another member was banned in the gaming forum.

I could go into detal, but bans aren't to be talked about, but go have a read in the game section. You won't get the whole picture, but you'll get enough

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Um...I think this is about the gaming forum...there was a user banned because of action in the Political forum, but another member was banned in the gaming forum.

I could go into detal, but bans aren't to be talked about, but go have a read in the game section. You won't get the whole picture, but you'll get enough
I thought the gaming forum was getting under control. Anyhoo both forums seem to have gotten heated then, at least what I witnessed over the past few days in the PC.

Edit: So I just took a peak into the gaming forum, My apologies, I was assuming there was another issue at hand that was being dealt with.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I don't believe the PRSI Forum is being any more troublesome than usual. A couple of warm topics, so what?
Yeah - I'm now much more interested in what's going on over at the gaming forum. I never knew it could be so controversial, especially since most folks I know play games to relax. Not being a gamer, I've never really read the gaming posts much at all...

Regarding the OP, nicely said and thanks - I've gotten goaded before, and it's nice to know someone else sees it besides me.

Though one question: If someone is banned, what's to stop them signing up all over again under a new user name? Sure, the avatar goes away, but so what?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Though one question: If someone is banned, what's to stop them signing up all over again under a new user name? Sure, the avatar goes away, but so what?
It has happened before but usually they check IP's of a banned user and that is how they can track if they signed up again. If a person was banned there is a reason and if a person gets around that by signing up again they usually start the fight all over again.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
* checks for posts by srf4real recently edited or deleted by mod

:rolleyes: I can take a hint even without special notice of actions taken. I have been to the line and on the other side is a big monkey!;)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
It's all about respect and we should all show each other a certain amount of respect...gods,mods,regulars,newbs whatever(no person is higher than the other) Words are powerful and when they are not used in the right sense can get you into real tough fights.

Respect is the key and if you have a certain amount of power at anything you shouldn't fling it around just cause you can.

The mods have been really good on MR and I would really like to kill this in the gaming forum and get back to the basics.

Respect people.

Bless <-----To all my MR peepz

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
List all the banned members and let everyone see what they did.
This might be useful for some members. List who got banned and in brief why.

jsw thanks for the detailed and informative post.

Your comment about cloning arn made me chuckle. Most organizations are in the flavor of the leader/head person. In the case of MR, I would say all who administer the site are very homogeneous in the application considering it is such as diverse place with a large number of members of all ages.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
This might be useful for some members. List who got banned and in brief why.
I disagree. What is this, a public hanging of sorts? No, I think it should be private. Why did a member get banned? It's been answered, in fact, in the OP. Either s/he broke rules, or became too hostile/ unruly toward others on the boards. Seems simple enough to me.

That said, thanks for the informative post, jsw.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
List who got banned and in brief why.

This really isn't prudent to us. We all have (or at least have the ability to) read the forum rules, where it will tell you what will get you in trouble, we know what not to do and we know or should know when we are on the line.

I used to play hobowars a lot. They had an area to see who got banned and for what. It was really a waste of time as it wasn't really our business.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
see, i always thought the way to handle being banned was to be belligerent and refer to the mods as "nazis" after your ban was lifted. silly me :)
Linkety
You ungrateful lump... this thread actually had a chance.

I disagree. What is this, a public hanging of sorts?
Personal vote is for a firing squad. Just take care of the problem at the source. ;)

I've never had an issue with the mods here... always had some semblance of sentient life about themselves, and usually they've had a reason for their actions. My only issue involved the changing of my sig once, and as a poet, I took issue with it... but since then, no problems. At least none the firing squad hasn't taken care of.:)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I disagree. What is this, a public hanging of sorts? No, I think it should be private. Why did a member get banned? It's been answered, in fact, in the OP. Either s/he broke rules, or became too hostile/ unruly toward others on the boards. Seems simple enough to me.
Good point(s)! :)

As I said in my post, it might be useful for some members. I was thinking more in terms of someone new who is used to other boards seeing how things are done her up front may help them initially.

I've been on other boards, but usually drop them because of how they are moderated or lack there off. Here on MR I feel that it is a nice place to visit and learn a few things and hopefully contribute something.

I think jsw's post could be post of the year.
Brownnoser! ;) :p :D

And I completely agree with you by the way. :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA

I hope not. Most of us follow the rules there. That's one of the main reasons I come here when there's no new Mac news.

BTW, what's the difference between "In Time-Out" and "Unexpected vacation", or is there none?

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'm not sure how I feel about all this as a whole. Given the events today and my small outburst, I imagine I'm on that line.

I agree with 2nyRiggz.

I also agree that this board is EXCELLENTLY moderated 99.9% of the time, and I've been coming here for 6 years at least. But in a banning situation, where 3rd parties can share information or opinions that may influence the reversal of that ban, I don't see how they shouldn't be considered VERY important, since chances are the person that has been banned truly loves this site, as I do and I KNOW everyone else does. I don't like the idea of not getting my MacRumors fix each and every hour of each day. And while I know and understand that the mods have tons of things to do/other things to worry about, this site definitely has fans that are nearly as rabid about the site as they are about their apple products, so some people may react a bit heated when they feel they have been banned unfairly.

Respect is primary and I don't think a big post essentially condescending members and bringing them parallel to "children" is the best next step after todays events. (not that we don't all pitch a few fits from time to time)

Yes, this site is straight up all Arn and we all love and respect him for bringing it to life and putting up with it day in and day out. We also appreciate and respect all that the mods have to deal with, especially for free. Thats doesn't mean that the members are an unneeded commodity in such vast supply that you can ditch them at your whimsy. Without the long-time users and site lovers a message board can't exist (or remain popular, get ad buys, etc), and if those users start to feel alienated then things can change in a heartbeat.

I don't think that board members are feeling this per se, and like I said this site is ran nearly perfect nearly all the time, but based on what I've seen today, maybe everyone should take a step back, take a deep breath, and talk things out so we can get back to some good conversations in the gaming forums and the site in general. because I definitely think something got lost in the hub-bub.

In the end, it's always the Arn and the mods call, and hopefully they make the good call.

I apologize for any escalation I may myself have caused earlier with overly heated words, but I think the mods should definitely take another look in respect to these two members.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
This is who we need.
drphil.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.