How to handle mass email

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iMasterWeb, Dec 27, 2009.

1. iMasterWeb macrumors regular

Hi there, I'm about ready to unveil a "coming soon" page and one thing I need is a way for users to enter their email address for me to email once the site goes live. What is the best way to do this?

Should I store the emails in a DB and then run a PHP script to email them from my web host? Should I have the emails just kind of be collected and then emailed manually by me either locally or from the server? Is there another way I should do it?

Also, are there certain web-hosts that restrain the amount of emails you can send out, thus causing a problem for mass email.

The only "unknown" currently is how large of a response I'll get...only time will tell.

Thanks guys!

2. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Isn't it that using such mass mailing service will land your email address on the "drop into junk folder" list?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of site is this for? I'd just wait and see how many email addresses you get before thinking about a mass emailing service.

4. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I think he's trying to plan ahead and cover all angles instead of being stuck in s''t:).

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Simply store them in a MySQL database. You keep all the options like this.

Miles is right, don't over forecast. Maybe you'll get only a few 10s of emails, maybe many 1000s. Just store them at this point, with MySQL you're always safe.

6. elitesouth macrumors member

elitesouth

7. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

There is MailMan, which is part of cPanel. Better than mail chimp.

Again, research, or your address will be banned by your recipients' mail apps as spammer.

8. star-fish macrumors regular

No. Mass mailing services, when used properly, are the most efficient way to construct email marketing campaigns. If you're using it fairly, and not tricking people into signing up or buying lots of random email address details and spamming, then people theoretically won't see the email as 'junk' because they've signed up as interested in that field.

To the OP: don't expect to get too much of a response, especially for hard sales emails. Probably around 15% of people who sign up will click through a link in an email, if you're lucky.

9. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Are you in marketing (= do you know for sure?).

I was once considering using mail chimp, and was warned that anything coming from that IP address will land in the junk folder.

Which is why I was recommended using MailMan.

Which isn't the easiest application to deal with. I haven't gotten around it.