How to hang cables without damaging paint?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Oct 9, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

At the house my roommates and I down at college are renting, WiFi just hasn't been working out lately. Something in the vicinity is causing massive interference (was working for the past year just fine though). Tried changing channels, even tried a different router, and nothing works. Wireless will just drop out every now and then, sometimes for 30 minutes at a time. We've given up hope and I just ordered a 100 foot ethernet cable and an 8 port switch (to serve my room and the room next to me) from NewEgg. Now, we need to run the cable across a hallway and kitchen to get to the switch which will be my room. Obviously, we don't want it on the floor, so we need to hang it from the ceiling. We don't want anything that will ruin the paint or drywall, since we'll be out of here in a year and anything we damage, we have to pay for. We're not looking for cosmetics here, we have no problem with an ugly ethernet cable running across the house, we just want it out of the way. Does anyone know of something I can buy to hang the cable that won't damage anything and isn't permanent? Thanks

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you really don't care about looks, use staples (as in a desk stapler) and little pieces of cloth to make a sort of "hammock" or sling to hold up the cable. The holes will be too small for the landlord to notice.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I went to Lowes to see if they had any of the things MACDRIVE linked to, and ended up finding some 3M Command thingys that claim they come off cleanly without ruining paint....so we'll see.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Be careful with the command adhesive. 3M makes a good product but I'd still recommend leaving one up for a few days or so in an inconspicuous location just to be absolutely sure it doesn't peel the paint. I've used the things before but specifically didn't use them on painted surfaces.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just get some small eye hooks and drive them into the corner where the wall and ceiling meet. Put them at about 48" apart. Mostly invisible when you're done (the paint disturbed by this can be mostly pushed back into place, leaving only a tiny hole for you to fill with one of those putty pens).

Another option would be buying a package of picture hangers with the single small nail.

Or use duct tape. It works for everything else.