How to hard reboot iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DcGamer05, Sep 22, 2017.

1. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

hey everyone. Just got my new iPhone 8 plus in the mail. And it’s acting kinda weird. I wanted to do a force reboot and yet when I hold down the volume down and power button now all I get is the emergency SOS screen and a countdown to 911. I rebooted the phone manually and tried the same combo while it was booting at the apple screen and yet no dice. I’ve tried everything I can’t think of but nothing works. Does any one have any insight on this. It's driving me crazy! Has any one figured out how to do this yet? Or is my unit defective.

Thanks in advance

2. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

3. ebika, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

ebika macrumors 6502

Try press-and-release volume up, press-and-release volume down, press-and-hold power.

Edit: I confirmed this works on my iPhone 8. I got this from the Apple tech support rep this morning when my 8 was having trouble turning on.

4. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

If it's anything like the 7, it's press and hold power and volume down until the apple logo appears.

5. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

Yes, it is hold power and volume down until you see the Apple logo...just like the 7/7+. It is better to do it on the lock screen because if you do it on the home screen it will lower your volume all the way down.

:apple:

6. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

...and since the device is locked, it will still restart?

7. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I'm surprised at how many posts i've seen about people asking how to hard reboot their new iPhone 8 / 8 Plus.

Are users experiencing issues already that require a hard reboot? Kinda worrying.

8. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Neither of you actually read the post?

9. JoaoF macrumors member

Is this combo to boot or to restart it?

10. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

Yes we did, a hard reboot or "Force Restart" as Apple refers to it is when you and experiencing issues so instead of just turning off the phone and back on again you perform a "force restart" which clears the cache/memory (not your data) and other things which often fix issues people are having with their iPhones.

Force Restart per Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201412

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Interesting that it's different for some reason when it comes to iPhone 8 compared to 7.

12. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Doesnt work for me. Im stuck on a bar when restoring from icloud for nearly 3 hours now. And i wanna restart it.

13. ebika macrumors 6502

Force restart / reboot

14. WiseAJ macrumors 6502

WiseAJ

Wonder why they made it more complicated for the 8/8 Plus

15. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I know what a force restart is. My point was you didn’t read that the OP attempted to do just that. Hit the sleep/wake button and down volume button at the same time to force restart the phone. You and the other poster gave him instructions to do exactly what he already attempted. This button combo does not work on the iPhone 8. Instead, this initiates the SOS feature.

Your link gives instructions for the 6-7, not the 8.

16. DcGamer05 thread starter macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Yeah still no dice guys and gals. This is really odd no matter what I do with the volume down button and power button all I get is the emergency SOS screen and to turn off the phone normally it’s quite annoying. You can turn off the countdown feature on emergency SOS by going to Settings -> emergency sos and turn off the auto cal feature. This is really annoying

17. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

My bad, I thought you were trying to tell me that I did not know how to force restart an iPhone. I apologize bro, sorry. I didn't know they changed it on the 8/8+.

18. Beebman macrumors newbie

My 8 Plus froze whilst it was restoring from iCloud. I tried the iPhone 7 method of forced restart but to no avail. I was preparing to get up early tomorrow to take it back to my local Apple Store when I found this thread, followed the advice and after having forced a restart all seems well for now.

19. spades1412 macrumors 6502

That article is wrong as well.

I was able to get this to work by following the directions from @ebika above.

Try press-and-release volume up, press-and-release volume down, press-and-hold power. I had to hold the power button for a good 12-15 seconds before the apple logo appeared.

20. DcGamer05 thread starter macrumors regular

DcGamer05

Wow did you read the article? It suggests the same combo that does not work. I don’t want to be rude but these old solutions just don’t work. If u have an iPhone 8 try volume down and power. It just doesn’t work

21. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Do this quickly. Press & release Volume up, press & release volume down, then press & hold the power button. Hold the power button down for a good 15 seconds.

22. cookies! macrumors 6502

Apple updated the page:

On an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

23. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

That's ridiculous to an extent

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

This pretty much confirms my theory that iOS 11 was made primarily for the X. There was no reason to change the method on the 8/8 Plus.

Hopefully the next iOS 11 iteration will be optimized better for the devices that don't need to be gesture based like the X.