Carrier How to have carrier on eSIM so other SIM slot empty?

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I think the dual SIM capability comes later? Anyway, I'd like to have my carrier on the eSIM so I can buy a physical SIM when I'm traveling. When I activate Xs can I choose the eSIM?

Reactions: niji

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Would also like to know how dual sim works for those iPhones sold in US without true dual sim support? Let's say I'm on AT&T and I have their sim card inserted, and I am about to travel to Thailand. When I get to Thailand how would I insert my sim there? Since the esim iPhone Xs doesn't have dual slots, what am I to do?

seinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Would also like to know how dual sim works for those iPhones sold in US without true dual sim support? Let's say I'm on AT&T and I have their sim card inserted, and I am about to travel to Thailand. When I get to Thailand how would I insert my sim there? Since the esim iPhone Xs doesn't have dual slots, what am I to do?
When eSIM support is released, you’ll switch your primary account to the eSIM and then remove and discard the physical SIM. This leaves the slot open for the Thailand SIM.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
I think the dual SIM capability comes later? Anyway, I'd like to have my carrier on the eSIM so I can buy a physical SIM when I'm traveling. When I activate Xs can I choose the eSIM?
i too would use eSIM capability this way.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Is switching my primary (AT&T) account to eSim free and will it be easy to switch back and forth easily if for some reason I needed the physical sim again once I return back from my trip?

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
hi
great questions.
but as of today, there is no company that has any plans for a eSIM to be used in Asia. lots and lots of companies have plans, but nothing available yet.
the companies listed on apple's website such as gigsky and truphone have data plans that have been marketed for apple's iPad and use that technology.
so, the answer to yr question " When I get to Thailand how would I insert my sim there? " is simply to remove yr ATT SIM and insert a pre-paid locally purchased SIM into the physical slot, as has been the standard practice.
(this does presume yr phone is not locked to ATT only).

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I have a sim-free unlocked iPhone. But if I remove my AT&T sim when I get to Thailand then I won't be able to receive any calls on my AT&T sim. That defeats the purpose of having Dual Sims.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.