how to have firefox be the preferred browser on certian sites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furcalchick, Mar 26, 2009.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i love safari, i think it's the best overall of the big three web browsers, but it isn't perfect (i'm running v. 2.0.4) and it tends to crash on certain sites. what i want to know if it's possible to set firefox to be the primary browser if i click on links from the sites that would take down safari, and go to safari for the rest of the websites.

2. jeremybuff macrumors regular

To my knowledge, this is not possible. I'll stay on the lookout for you, though.

3. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

I think you can, I did it once before. Not sure how though.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Like jeremybuff I don't think that is possible since the default browser is a system wide preference. On the couple of sites I have that I know have to be used on a specific browser I have saved the sites as web locators (or whatever the heck the icons are called when you drag the address bar off to the desktop) and have done a Get Info on them individualy and changed the 'Open with..' section to be the browser they require. Then I double click on that to visit the site they open with the preferred browser and any links within open in that browser too. At least it's a workaround!;)

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

i know in windows, firefox had a plugin that you could right click on links and open it with Internet Explorer or Opera.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope, pretty sure this is impossible. You have a system wide default browser and that's the end of it.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It would be possible to write your own application that registers itself with LaunchServices as a handler for URLs. You could then have it launch Safari or Firefox or whatever based on a list in the app.

Of course this is way more effort that most people are likely to go to and if you're not a programmer then clearly you can't do this.

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

thanks for the tips. guess i'll have to do this manually...oh well.