How to have Handoff / Continuity on Macbook Pro 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by betovzky, Dec 1, 2014.

1. betovzky, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

betovzky macrumors newbie

If you guys wish to have this feature on your Macbook Pro, is quite simple my friends, just follow this simple steps:

1. Find this EXACTLY wireless card on eBay: BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX

This model basically means that you going to have Bluetooth 4.0 on your Mac now, a necessary component for Continuity.

2. You need to be a macho man, go ahead and open your mac to change some components. Follow this beautiful iFixIt guide:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...2011+AirPort-Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/7509

All the parts inside? No pieces left behind? Ok! Next:

3. Install a patch to tell Apple that you have bluetooth 4.0, because just have the actual new card installed is not enough. So download that:

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/

If you have Yosemite in your Mac and iOS8 in your iPhone and iPad, check that to see how it works and enjoy :D

https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/

:apple:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Don't you mean Handoff and not Continuity? I have a 2010 iMac and Continuity works just fine with no modifications and it doesn't have BT 4.0

3. betovzky thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just because Apple put both together in the explanation page, i thought is simpler to keep like that, but if you have any suggestion, please.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They're both two different things, and I was confused for a long time too because so many articles blended them together and their requirements, until it just started working suddenly on my old Mac, Continuity that is.

Continuity, the telephone and text relay service, relies solely on WiFi.

Handoff, the web page and iWork sharing, between iOS and OS X requires BT 4.0, which is what your thread is truly about has little to do with Continuity.

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Nice explanation. As I don't own any iOS device, it seems that I don't need BT 4.0, but I can use Continuity features on my 2009 and 2010 Macs.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you don't have an iPhone, Continuity won't work for you.

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Heck, I was thinking Continuity was capable of bring some kind of integration between Macs.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Continuity relays text messages and telephone calls from an iPhone to/from a Mac over wifi and and Apple ID account.