How To help needed: Back-up/restore before updating

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by VideoBeagle, Nov 30, 2010.

1. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I'm at iOS 3.2.2 I'm about to do the 4.2 upgrade.

I'm not jailbroken

I'd like to back things up and set up so I can restore/downgrade from 4.2 if there's problems etc.

my Google Fu has failed me.

I've been unable to find any clear instructions on how to do this. (make the back up, and restore from it).

I've seen things about blobs and so forth, but no idea what that means.

Can anyone help, point me to a good link, anything?

2. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

If you're talking about backing up the iPad, that is the first thing that iTunes does for you, when you attach it to your computer. Step 1is always backup, then Sync happens (music, videos, apps, etc.)

If you're looking for those files on your Mac, navigate to Home/username> Library> Application Support> MobileSync> Backup

I'm not as familiar with iTunes Windows, but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the AppData folder.

This Apple article may help too - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

-

edit - if you wanted to mount iPad as a drive and manually select files, try PhoneDisk by macroPlant

3. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool..so how would I use these to reload/downgrade my iOS to 3.22 should I need to?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You wouldn't. Those are backups of your user data, has nothing to do with downgrading OS.

In order to downgrade the OS, you need to search for and download a program called TinyUmbrella, and use it to save your SHSh blobs. However, SHSH blobs can generally be saved only for the current firmware, meaning, if you wanted to save your SHSH for 3.2.2, you should have done so before 4.2 was released. There's a slight chance you may still be able to save the SHSH for 3.2.2, it's worth giving a try, but understand that it might not work.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

FYI: you can save your blobs even if you're not jailbroken.

6. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that blows.

Didn't work:(

Got the SHSH for 4.2.1 and 4.2b3

Oh well...

Thanks for the help!