Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandra12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
Hi,
this is my question: given an iphone XR with no jailbreak I have to install and "Hide" a new app (a second browser).
I figure there are two solutions, but I don't know if they are possibile:
1- hide somehow the app
2- changing the icon and the name of the app so it's "anonimous"
Are these solutions possible?
Thank you

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Hmm, I'm wondering why you need to install and hide a second browser?? ;)

Jokes aside, I don't believe there's a way to do this. The best you can do is stick the app in the second page of a folder. Or, if worst comes to worst, uninstall and reinstall the app as needed.

Reactions: mandra12

mandra12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
There is no way to just changing the icon (with an app or the jailbreak)?

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
There are a few apps that lets you change the icon from within the app. No system wide setting for it though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't even know if you can change the icon with a jailbreak.
Yes, with a jailbreak you can. Simple matter of browsing the file system with Filza or iFile and changing the PNG files for the icon. I've done it a few times. But yeah, you need a jailbreak first. Apple doesn't let you much around in the system files stock.
[automerge]1582123262[/automerge]
There is no way to just changing the icon (with an app or the jailbreak)?
Jailbreak: YES
Stock: NO

mandra12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
Yes, with a jailbreak you can. Simple matter of browsing the file system with Filza or iFile and changing the PNG files for the icon. I've done it a few times. But yeah, you need a jailbreak first. Apple doesn't let you much around in the system files stock.
[automerge]1582123262[/automerge]

Jailbreak: YES
Stock: NO

Thank you, I wasn't sure about it.
Warranty aside, what are the cons of a jailbreak on the XR? Is going to make it unstable?

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Hi,
this is my question: given an iphone XR with no jailbreak I have to install and "Hide" a new app (a second browser).
I figure there are two solutions, but I don't know if they are possibile:
1- hide somehow the app
2- changing the icon and the name of the app so it's "anonimous"
Are these solutions possible?
Thank you

Just delete the app whenever whoever you are hiding it from is around. The re download it when they aren’t.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you, I wasn't sure about it.
Warranty aside, what are the cons of a jailbreak on the XR? Is going to make it unstable?
Warranty isn't an issue. Hasn't been since early 2015. Yes, Apple's legal still says it voids warranty but the Apple genius won't care. The worst that would happen is that you are asked to restore your phone (assuming it's still functional). Apple will fix/replace jailbroken iPhones. In any case, a restore to stock will remove the jailbreak.

As for cons, as a jailbreaker since 2012, I don't see any. As long as you stay away from cracked/pirated apps, sketchy repos, sketchy websites and as long as you aren't prone to handing your phone to strangers and letting them out of your sight with it then you should be fine.

Lots of people here will tell you that it weakens your security. The nature of how a jailbreak works is by exploiting a bug. But jailbreaking does not compromise your phone by throwing the doors wide open which is essentially what those who disagree with jailbreaking would have you believe.

Updating might be a con. Generally you want to stay on the firmware you're currently on. It's necessary to restore to stock and then update if you want to update. But updating can mean losing your jailbreak if there is not one for the firmware you update to.

mandra12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2020
Warranty isn't an issue. Hasn't been since early 2015. Yes, Apple's legal still says it voids warranty but the Apple genius won't care. The worst that would happen is that you are asked to restore your phone (assuming it's still functional). Apple will fix/replace jailbroken iPhones. In any case, a restore to stock will remove the jailbreak.

As for cons, as a jailbreaker since 2012, I don't see any. As long as you stay away from cracked/pirated apps, sketchy repos, sketchy websites and as long as you aren't prone to handing your phone to strangers and letting them out of your sight with it then you should be fine.

Lots of people here will tell you that it weakens your security. The nature of how a jailbreak works is by exploiting a bug. But jailbreaking does not compromise your phone by throwing the doors wide open which is essentially what those who disagree with jailbreaking would have you believe.

Updating might be a con. Generally you want to stay on the firmware you're currently on. It's necessary to restore to stock and then update if you want to update. But updating can mean losing your jailbreak if there is not one for the firmware you update to.

Ok, thanks for the explanation!
I miss from "iphone world" from many years (my last one was 3GS, with the BlackRa1n jailbreak) and at the "good old times" it was about the warranty!
I just have to think if it's worth to jailbreak just to change one icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.