how to hide any apple application in 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bndoarn, Jun 10, 2009.

1. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i wanted to share this because i know a lot of people don't like some of the apple applications (i.e. weather and stocks) and get better ones from the app store. well in 3.0 you can hide those applications you don't use. in 3.0 there are no limit to the number of apps you can install (besides storage space of course). whenever you fill up all of your home screen pages and install a new app, no icon is displayed but the app can still be launched from spotlight. this also happens when the last page is full and you add another icon to it. the last icon on the page will disappear. you can use this to hide apple applications that you don't use. to do this, move 16 icons to the last home screen page (if you don't have that many apps, you can add blank pages in between). make sure the last icon is the one you want to hide. now drag one more icon to this page. the last icon will disappear. you can still get to this app by searching for it in spotlight. you can get the icons back by turning the device off then back on again.

2. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

3. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

no problem. i really like this new feature. i never use weather and stocks and hated having them on the home screen.

4. Tubink macrumors regular

Yeah what about the people that don't like having 11 pages of apps, but rather one or two clean pages?

5. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

you just keep moving them to the end. it will create blank pages in between. once you hit the home button it automatically deletes the blank pages. once your done you just move the applications back like you had them. i only have 3 pages of apps and i did this. it's kind of a hassle but it works and as far as i know it's the only way to do it.

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I never keep more than 3 pages, Makes me feel the same way when my desktop PC has more than 3 rows of icons..... I feel cluttered.

Honestly if I don't use an app in over a week I delete it.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Ooh. Very good information! I jailbroke my phone for the express purpose of hiding stocks, weather, and contacts, and was sad that they would be back on my new phone. Now it looks like I'll have a way of kicking them off without jailbreaking! Thanks!

8. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

BUT, this is also for apps you cant delete. Like Weather and Stocks.
    So this is great!
    I cant wait to do this and get rid of those two and iTunes store that i also want to get rid of.

9. wealeat macrumors newbie

How do you get them back after you hide them?

10. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

just restart the device and the icons come back

11. Tubink macrumors regular

not even a restart?

12. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

As for getting the app icon back.

in 2.2 i accidentally moved an icon off of the last page. I was able to get it back by uninstalling and re installing. In 2.2 they reinstalled to the first page. I have heard that in 3.0 apps go to the last page used. bndoarn can you see if you can get the icon back if you reinstall the app.

FYI: I just realized that we can not reinstall things like stocks. Which is okay for me cus i like my first page to look stock.

lol sorry i got side tracked while typing the post. Stupid work and boss calling me!!!

13. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, i just turned my iPod off then back on and the icons came back so that's how you get them back.

14. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

what? is that just for stock icons or all of them?

15. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

all the ones that i hid came back. but i only hid weather and stocks. i'll try it with an app store app.

EDIT: it works with all applications, apple ones and app store ones.

16. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

17. bndoarn thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just figured out that all off the icons come back once you install any app from the app store so this is really going to work.