iPhone How to hide or lock some apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by eddimax, Feb 23, 2016.

1. eddimax macrumors member

Hi guys

Ok, can anyone help me, is there any way to lock or hide some apps on iPhone without jailbrake? I have some very private stuff on my phone and dont want others to be around it, so i want to lock those apps or simple hide. But the problem is i dont know how? I know about "trick" with folders when you move the app inside the folder and then little bit outside and somehow the app disappear, but it works just till next restart of your phone, so no - i dont like it. Is there any other way, some app who could help me or so?

Thanx

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Put a password on it. That's why it is there.

3. eddimax thread starter macrumors member

4. Salvor Hardin macrumors regular

5. eddimax thread starter macrumors member

I know, but thats not really what i want to do.
    I just simple want to lock or completely hide 2-3 apps on my phone, thats all.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is no way to password protect apps right now.

7. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

If there is content on your phone that you're trying to keep private, the only way to do that is to use specific apps that allow security to be applied.

For example, if you have pics of your wife that are for "your eyes only", move them from the camera roll to an app like PrivatePhotoVault

8. eddimax thread starter macrumors member

No, I am not talking about hiding the pictures.
    I want to hide or lock specific apps.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You cannot lock any apps right now on iOS outside of whatever is available in the restrictions section. Now you got me curious as to what apps you are trying to hide from others.

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Sorry can't do that.

Like the guy above said, if you're not concerned with hiding content or data, what exactly are you trying to accomplish by hiding apps?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Aside from some potential jailbreak tweaks for something like that the best you can do is to basically either have a passcode on your device and not let others use it or perhaps using something like guided mode if the device was going to be used by someone else for something in particular.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

if your stuff is that critical, stick to iPhone password, which locks the entire phone.

13. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

My guess would be he's hiding either dating or chat apps that he doesn't want his significant other to find.

14. eddimax thread starter macrumors member

Bingo.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

How would simply password protecting the apps help with all of that if the apps would still be seen (even if they can't be opened)?

16. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Sorry but that's up to the developer. Dropbox and Downloads HD are a couple of apps I know that support password / Touch ID protection to start the app so again, it is possible if the developer cares.

17. eddimax, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

eddimax thread starter macrumors member

There are some apps that you dont know what they are about untill you open.
    Ofcourse hiding would be better, but password protection is not bad either.

--- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    If i want to lock or hide something on my phone then its my choice and has nothing to do with developer.
    On android you have that option untill i know for them, dont know why ios is always *special* (read: worse).

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

Beg to differ... apps like dropbox and 1password provide additional level of security to block access; this is something the developer puts in, nothing to do with your choice. Would be interesting if the phone the FBI wants to crack has a second level of security in the form of strong encryption from apps like 1password

19. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

haha. you're so naive. can you tell me a single thing on the phone that's your choice? everything is the choice of the manufacturer, developers and carriers. you don't have any choice.