Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Hi guys

Ok, can anyone help me, is there any way to lock or hide some apps on iPhone without jailbrake? I have some very private stuff on my phone and dont want others to be around it, so i want to lock those apps or simple hide. But the problem is i dont know how? I know about "trick" with folders when you move the app inside the folder and then little bit outside and somehow the app disappear, but it works just till next restart of your phone, so no - i dont like it. Is there any other way, some app who could help me or so?

Thanx

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
If there is content on your phone that you're trying to keep private, the only way to do that is to use specific apps that allow security to be applied.

For example, if you have pics of your wife that are for "your eyes only", move them from the camera roll to an app like PrivatePhotoVault

eddimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
No, I am not talking about hiding the pictures.
I want to hide or lock specific apps.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

You cannot lock any apps right now on iOS outside of whatever is available in the restrictions section. Now you got me curious as to what apps you are trying to hide from others.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Aside from some potential jailbreak tweaks for something like that the best you can do is to basically either have a passcode on your device and not let others use it or perhaps using something like guided mode if the device was going to be used by someone else for something in particular.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
My guess would be he's hiding either dating or chat apps that he doesn't want his significant other to find.

Reactions: old-wiz

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Sorry but that's up to the developer. Dropbox and Downloads HD are a couple of apps I know that support password / Touch ID protection to start the app so again, it is possible if the developer cares.

eddimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
How would simply password protecting the apps help with all of that if the apps would still be seen (even if they can't be opened)?

There are some apps that you dont know what they are about untill you open.
Ofcourse hiding would be better, but password protection is not bad either.

[doublepost=1456343754][/doublepost]
Sorry but that's up to the developer. Dropbox and Downloads HD are a couple of apps I know that support password / Touch ID protection to start the app so again, it is possible if the developer cares.

If i want to lock or hide something on my phone then its my choice and has nothing to do with developer.
On android you have that option untill i know for them, dont know why ios is always *special* (read: worse).

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
There are some apps that you dont know what they are about untill you open.
Ofcourse hiding would be better, but password protection is not bad either.

[doublepost=1456343754][/doublepost]

If i want to lock or hide something on my phone then its my choice and has nothing to do with developer.
On android you have that option untill i know for them, dont know why ios is always *special* (read: worse).

Beg to differ... apps like dropbox and 1password provide additional level of security to block access; this is something the developer puts in, nothing to do with your choice. Would be interesting if the phone the FBI wants to crack has a second level of security in the form of strong encryption from apps like 1password

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India

haha. you're so naive. can you tell me a single thing on the phone that's your choice? everything is the choice of the manufacturer, developers and carriers. you don't have any choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.