How to hide shadow around icons that aren't squares

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 3bs, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Whenever I try to set an image for an icon that isn't a full square, for example like this, there's a shadow. I'm assuming this is part of the system and not the image itself. Is there any way around this?

Photo 10-03-2012 16 06 28.png

2. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

No one knows how to do this? Or is it just not possible? I know people change all kinds of things on their jailbroken devices so I find it hard to believe there isn't a way to do this. For example the Suave HD theme makes all the icons smaller and the edges rounder. So there must be a way to hide this shadow.

3. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

yes, it is possible. I am not at home right now to find the 3 files you need to alter. I also add another step to prevemt shadowing by creating a special theme folder for icons.

4. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Thank you! You've given me hope :p
    Please do tell me what I need to change whenever you get some free time. Will I be able to do it using iFile? I'm not that familiar with changing things other than icons so please provide me with detailed instructions.

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework

Rename "AppIconMask@2x~iphone.png" to something else (something you'll remember because you'll want to change it back with either the stock theme or other themes).

Save and that should do it. One problem you might encounter...icons that aren't themed by the theme you're using may be square (they'll have sharp square corners).

6. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Wouldn't springtomize work for hiding shadows?

7. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I tried that but there is still a shadow and I notice the sharp corners on all icons I haven't changed myself for the apps I've downloaded. Stock apps still have smooth corners. I'm not using a theme just manually replacing the app icons.

I don't see an option for that?

8. 0m3ga, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

0m3ga macrumors 6502

3bs,

the problem with altering the core system file is that you get sharp squares for every icon that you don't alter. that said here is what you do to fix your altered icons, so they have no shadow.

go into var/stash/themes.xxx and create a folder called FolderEnhancerTheme.theme (remember be has to be exactly like that with caps and lowercase)

Inside that folder, create another folder called Icons (remember be exact with the name). [also of note, if you use folderenhancer tweak, this will also be where you create a folder called Bundles (inside the FolderEnhancerTheme.theme folder,mnot inside the Icons folder), and then another folder inside Bundles called com.apple.springboard and insert two images called FEFolderBG-Landscape~ipad.png at 1024x768 pixels and another called FEFolderBG-Portrait~ipad.png at 768x1024 pixels. so when you open a folder now, whatever image you want as a background will be the background for every folder you open. just need to click on the "use image background" box under appearance in FolderEnhancer. just some more fun if you like?)

now, go to every icon you have created and copy and paste it into the Icons folder, but change the name of each of those files from icon-72.png or icon@2x.png or whatever to the actual name of the program on your springboard like Facebook.png or Pages.png or whatever. remember, this file name has to be exactly as it appears on your springboard app. The reason you copy and paste these in here from wherever you have them saved is to keep the permissions the same. Just easier this way.

respring and you are set. unfortunately, you will still have all those other icons with square edges.
    there are other alternatives like downloading a theme and then changing the icons within the theme to what you want.

9. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Doesn't seem worth it if all the icons will look messed up. Thank you very much though for the detailed instructions. I'll give it a try when I get some free time.

I tried changing the Jaku theme sms icon to the bitesms icon I have in the picture above but I still got the shadow.

10. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Easy way: Install iBlank 4 - you don't even need to create any blank icons with it... but it installs a winter board theme called 'no icon shadows' that you can enable.

There are other tweaks that also turn off the icon shadows (shrink does within it settings app if I remember correctly) and you should be able to just find the actual winter board theme for no icon shadows.

Those tweaks will turn off shadows for all icons on your SB.

11. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Youre right im sorry i was thinking of Shrink not Springtomize...

I don't see an option for that?[/QUOTE]

12. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

doesn't seem worth the effort until there is an update to your app and your icon goes back to the default one ;) i have altered almost every single one of my icons. took some extra effort, but I am not dependent on winterboard or anyone elses theme for my icons.

13. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

This is completely irrelevant to your question, but I have a white iPhone Jaku icon you may like more than the one you are using :p

Attached Files:

14. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I only recently started using the Jaku theme. Before that I was just using winterboard to get the chrome lock screen slider. Any way to get use that without winterboard? Also, whenever I replace app icons, a respring from the intelliscreenx toggles doesn't change them but a respring from within winterboard does.

I do like it lol. I'll try it out but the screenshot was actually before I applied Jaku.

15. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

you can pretty much do anything on the LS with ease and not bother with winterboard. Icons on the springboard are more time consuming, but I prefer not to use winterboard themes, if I can help it. You can deaign and make your own theme using Jaku icons, if you wanted to. I'm sure the psd file for that sort of icon is on the web.

16. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Before applying the Jaku theme a couple days ago, I was only using it's icons. How would I change things on the lock screen? I only know how to change app icons right now.

17. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

if jaku has a lockscreen theme then find that file and look to see file names, size of icons and where they are placed. duplicate with your own stuff.

18. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

3bs, I stumbled upon your thread also looking to hide the icon shadows on my device. If you still haven't found a workable solution yet, I found a tweak in Cydia called No Icon Shadows that accomplishes this task.

Also it's great that it does NOT require WinterBoard to work. Just install and say goodbye to the icon shadows!

Confirmed working on 4S, 5.0.1.

Hope this helps bud.

19. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I had actually given up on that. I can't believe you found a solution! Thanks so much. Here's a screenshot

photo.JPG

Since you're so good at finding solutions, do you happen to know how to hide the shadow you get on icons when you press them? I don't really want to get rid of it but it seems like I might have to. When I press some icons, not the whole icon has a shadow over it. In the corners or the edges it looks brighter than the rest of the icon and as if it wasn't pressed.

20. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

I'm sure it requires manually editing core system file(s) in System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

I will look into this later today when I get back from work....or hopefully someone else who knows how to do this will chime in before then.

21. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I'd really appreciate that. Not sure which file controls this.

22. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework

Change the AppIconMask@2x.png filename to something else.

This will take away the shadow when you press an icon. The other side-effect is that it will make your unthemed icons square, so if that is gonna bother you then I dunno!

23. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Thanks for that but yeah you're right, it's more annoying and I actually thought I'd be ok with not seeing the icon being pressed but it feels really weird. Why do some of my icons not have the shadow all over the icon?

24. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Isn't the correct file to modify AppIconShadow@2x~iphone.png instead?