How to hide the scratch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thepingz, Apr 23, 2014.

1. thepingz macrumors newbie

I have accidentally scratched the screen of my 3 months mbpr 15". It makes me feel annoyed sometime.

I know that I couldn't fix it, so I want to hide it instead.

Does the screen protector can hide the scratched line ?
    The scratch isn't too deep.

ps. does the screen protector effect the sight ? My model is mbpr 15" late 2013

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A screen protector may hide the scratch a bit. I was told by some ghost armor salesmen that their product can hide scratches on iPhones and what not. I'm not saying this is a good product for the MBP but rather saying they think screen protectors can hide scratches.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

4. joebingo macrumors newbie

I've heard about using toothpaste before, you will need to buff it a fair amount to get the shine of the affected area to match unfortunately.

What does apple say the cost of a fix is?

5. emporiky macrumors regular

I was actually wondering the same, as I got a small scratch on the display my 13'' rMBP while cleaning it. I think that it is almost impossible, because the cover of the retina display is pure glass, making it hard to repair.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wonder if the toothpaste solution is more urban myth - I'm not willing to rub something that is even mildly abrasive on my display for fear of making things much much worse.

7. ya1950 macrumors regular

Toothpaste is a mild abrasive and really does work on various surfaces to buff out scratches. But no way would I use it on a glass screen. I'm pretty sure the screen has a coating on it. Some people have accidentally damaged the coating when cleaning their screen. Toothpaste or any other abrasive could rub the coating off.

8. emporiky macrumors regular

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Screen protector will do the trick. I have heard a CLEAN soft eraser which you gently rub may work. The white erasers are usually the softest. I can't stress enough it must be the soft kind and clean. The pink ones are usually too hard!

10. campyguy macrumors 68030

Use jeweler's cloth. I've used it on watch bezels and an HDTV - no more scratch, $3-4 spent. QED.

11. emporiky macrumors regular

Has anyone tried the eraser trick? I am afraid that I can make the scratch even worse :confused: