How to hide upgrade to Catalina in Mojave Sys-Pref

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
Hi All...

Is there any way to hide the update/upgrade reminder in system preference in Mojave? I have installed Catalina already, on a partition, and all is well, no issues...

It is so annoying having that tiny red 1 in the circle in the task bar, and to have the windows update keep searching and loading the catalina 6GB install file...

Please is there a way to hide this reminder???

TimothyR734

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Hi All...

Is there any way to hide the update/upgrade reminder in system preference in Mojave? I have installed Catalina already, on a partition, and all is well, no issues...

It is so annoying having that tiny red 1 in the circle in the task bar, and to have the windows update keep searching and loading the catalina 6GB install file...

Please is there a way to hide this reminder???
softwareupdate --ignore "Catalina Update" that might work or whatever the name of the update is

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
If you're booted to your Mojave partition,
  1. Open System Preferences.
  2. Click Software Update.
  3. Click Details.
  4. Click Restore Defaults.
That won't affect the separate partition where you installed Catalina.

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
Screenshot 2019-06-27 at 15.20.54.png
"This Mac is enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Programme. Do you want to restore default update settings?

Any previous updates will not be removed, and this Mac will no longer receive beta updates.

Cancel Restore Defaults "

I am very worried that if I select Restore Defaults it will unenroll my Mojove OS and affect the enrollment of the Catalina Beta

Not sure pressing Restore Defaults is the right option!!
Thanks for the suggestion, any other solutions???

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, if you choose to restore default settings, you will not get new beta updates. If you want Mojave beta updates, then you get to keep the "other" update notification for Catalina.

If you don't want updates to automatically download, then turn that setting OFF.
System Preferences/Software Update/Advanced: Download New updates when available. (Untick the box!)

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
View attachment 845272 "This Mac is enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Programme. Do you want to restore default update settings?
Any previous updates will not be removed, and this Mac will no longer receive beta updates.

Cancel Restore Defaults "

I am very worried that if I select Restore Defaults it will unenroll my Mojove OS and affect the enrollment of the Catalina Beta

Not sure pressing Restore Defaults is the right option!!
Thanks for the suggestion, any other solutions???
You’re restoring defaults on the Mojave partition. Since you’ve installed Catalina to a separate partition it will be unaffected.

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
Somehow I think something has become lost in translation or something... It feels to me like someone at Apple has goofed the system, logically to me it would be obvious right mouse click and select "Hide this update", or something along those lines or...

2- in the details section have a check box next to any current updates, and if unchecked, hides the update and resets the counter to zero...

But no, Apple has to use very confusing and upsetting language, and offer a solution that is not viable or useful! Strange...but thanks any way...

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"logically to me it would be obvious right mouse click and select "Hide this update", or something along those lines or..."

You're correct about this, but Apple does what they want...

My suggestion:
IGNORE it (yes, I realize it gets pesky).
ALSO, MAKE SURE you have "automatic updates" TURNED OFF.

The LAST THING I want is for my Mac to "update itself" behind my back.
Offer me updates, fine.
But let ME decide when it's time to install them, or not.

bogdanw

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Code:
sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog
restores the default update catalog. You can enable beta updates on the Catalina installation. See #9 and #13

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
Wow bogdanw that seems to have cleared the catalina reminder from software updates...Just hope and pray that I am stilled enrolled for Beta updated to mojave and catalina...fingers crossed....Spent more than 2 hours on twitter DM, and the only advice was "thanks for the suggestion..please send a feedback..."

So happy to be free of that annoying update!! Thanks so much!!!

TimothyR734

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Wow bogdanw that seems to have cleared the catalina reminder from software updates...Just hope and pray that I am stilled enrolled for Beta updated to mojave and catalina...fingers crossed....Spent more than 2 hours on twitter DM, and the only advice was "thanks for the suggestion..please send a feedback..."

So happy to be free of that annoying update!! Thanks so much!!!
you can use this app it will switch between regular updates, beta updates and dev updates

Attachments

bogdanw

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
For Mojave:
Public Beta CatalogURL
Code:
https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.14beta-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz
and /Users/Shared/.SeedEnrollment.plist
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>SeedProgram</key>
    <string>PublicSeed</string>
</dict>
</plist>
Developer Beta CatalogURL
Code:
https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.14seed-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.gz
and /Users/Shared/.SeedEnrollment.plist
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>SeedProgram</key>
    <string>DeveloperSeed</string>
</dict>
</plist>
You can search for available updates with
Code:
sudo softwareupdate -l
ignore an update with
Code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore
ex:
Code:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Developer Beta'
reset ignore list with
Code:
sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored
Update: Here is a simple AppleScript that provides Easy beta enrollment for Catalina and Mojave (no Apple ID required)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishrrman