how to hide user name in lion?

greenbreadmmm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
i want to get ride of the user name in the top right corner. i dont need to know who i am. any one know how to get this off the top bar?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
System Preferences > User & Groups > Login Options (lower left corner) > uncheck Show fast user switching menu as

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Or just change it to an icon and don't lose the functionality.
True, if you have multiple regular users. For example, on my personal MBP, my wife has an account should she ever want/need to use my computer because no other computer was available and I was signed out of it, but I've had the computer for a year and she's used it twice.

iBluey

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Hide account but still use it - OS X Lion

Hi all,

I have this situation:
user1,
user2,
user3

I'd like to see only user1 and user3 on my Login screen and on my Fast-User switching screen too. But:
* can I still log on with user2 by manually typing username and password somewhere in Login screen?
* can i also fast-user-switch to user2 still, even though it is not shown with icon and name in the upper right corner (person silhouette-like icon)-I need to be able to fast-switch to user2, but not by clicking on the icon since I dont want it to be shown that there is user2 - is there some field/option to also type username and password in Fast-User Switching screen too?

Pls comment is such a thing possible.
In WinXP for example, there was the option not to display user accounts as icons so that user must type in username together with password. Im looking for a cross between these two approaches - display some users but don't display others. Is this possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.