How to highlight the background of icons?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dilongster, Mar 28, 2008.

1. dilongster macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Have you tried to invert your screen by pressing: crtl, alt, cmd, 8 sequentially? Try it now. The benefit of this for me is to help lighten the bright white rays to your eyes by turning a white bg to black. But when you look at your desktop icons, its hard to see the text if you do not manually highlight them by clicking and dragging the mouse over the icons. Is there a way to keep it continually highlighted without clicking and dragging? Thanks.

2. macsrules macrumors regular

That is slick, I learn something new each day. I don't know what you would use this feature for but it is pretty neat.

As far as looking at the icons you could try this technique.

1. If you have a two button mouse, right click on one of the icons, Hold down the option key, click on show inspector. Then you can use your arrow keys on the icons and it will show them in the inspector window. Maybe that would be easier to read.

You might try adding think to this technique http://freeverse.com/apps/app/?id=7013

3. dilongster thread starter macrumors newbie

solution.
    i have since found a way to solve this.
    the purpose of ctrl+alt+cmd+8 is to focus icons and eliminate a white background which i find is an ass to the eyes. this short key inverts your screen and in turn limits the exposure of light that tires your eyes. try it first. but then you'll notice your icon titles on your desktop slightly unreadable. the solution is to right click your desktop folders and adjust the color of each folder. what do you think?

thanks macsrules
    for the program suggestion.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's a program called nocturn made by Blacktree that is pretty slick and makes the screen way easier on the eyes, similar to the color inverse technique, but is better IMO.

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

How about giving the icons a label? Right click then choose a colour. This makes the background behind the text change colour so it should be easier to read.

6. dilongster thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: tuffluffjimmy

your awesome. i'm using the soft as i'm typing you now and it's definitely worth dl-ing. the software does offer a few more benefits:

-Proper color correction in monochrome modes - you don't lose all your blues or reds when you tint the screen.
    -Window shadow toggling - if glowing windows arenít your thing.
    -Background removal - hide the desktop picture so you donít see a inverted version.

what is an imo? and, where can you find a site that translates computer terms?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy