Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi,

In windows I would click shift-end to highlight the entire Url, what do I do on my mac?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I guess... it depends on what I'm doing. I often use apple-l and then apple-c and then click back into a textbox (where the mouse already was) and hit apple-v, etc, for that I find the keyboard shortcut faster, but triple click is good too, and I use it. Might as well know a few methods. :)

iMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
i want to be a master keyboard guy hehe.

But before that, I have to get past the 'noob' level hahah..

APPLE key is???

let's see here, we have: shift/control/option/command

I see no key with a half bitten apple!

oh and how to I quickly lock the computer, like in windows?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of helpful information both here and on the web. Some resources that may be helpful (if you've already seen them, ignore):

Mac 101
MRoogle for searching MacRumors: Forums with Google (always a great idea before starting new threads)
MacRumors FAQ
MacRumors Rules
MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
Apple Find Out How
Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
Essential Applications
More Essential Applications

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

iMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
In windows I could do this:

go to the beginning of a line, then hit: shift-end and it would hightlight the entire line. SOLVED: Apple-L

go to the middle of a line, hit shift-home and it would highlight everything BEFORE it, how do I do that?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In FF I just click once!?!? :confused:

Yes, but in FF, if you want to edit the link, you have to click again to deselect the entire address. In Safari, it defaults to:

single-click to edit
double-click to select a "word"
triple-click to select the entire address

Neither is superior... just different approaches.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
go to the beginning of a line, then hit: shift-end and it would hightlight the entire line. ... go to the middle of a line, hit shift-home and it would highlight everything BEFORE it, how do I do that?

If I understand you corrrectly, Cmd-Shift-Left and Cmd-Shift-Right do the same things when you're in a text box (although they obviously do something different if you're not in a text box, at least in Safari)....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.