How to hire a developer

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cagle, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

I am looking to hire a flash developer to do a front page for a website, I don’t have a huge budget but it is only one page and I can provide all the graphics – it’s the flash part I’m not trained in that I’m looking to outsource to someone else. Where do you go to hire flash developers for small projects like this? Is there a reputable site or do you just find a site you like the look of and email them?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. thomanjones macrumors regular

Flash intros for web sites = no visits from iPhone users. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to check out the site for a restaurant or club on the go and seeing nothing but a background and missing flash player icon.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question, but I'd highly recommend to your client that they link the flash content on the Homepage or scrap it altogether, unless its meant for something that can't be done w/o flash (and swooshy menu animations don't count ;) ).

4. jtara macrumors 65816

Flash on home page = move on to another site.

Or maybe that's just me.

5. Cagle thread starter macrumors regular

it's a large still graphic/picture that takes up most of the intro page, with animated elements, sounds and user-initiated events within said picture. Is there an alternative to flash that could do this? I appreciate the advice.

6. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    You could probably accomplish most or all of what you are looking to do without flash using HTML, CSS, JS, etc. Several people around here could probably help you, including myself. Just need to know more about what you want to accomplish.

Nowadays there is little need for Flash.

7. Roger Strummer macrumors newbie

At least in principle everything you mention is possible with javascript (and using a library like jquery or prototype+scriptaculous). It would be standards compliant, and run on almost every browser on every device, and also would be well looked by the open source community and web developers in general, the bad part is that the graphic stuff isn't as easy to do (having to write css instead of drag and drop flash or something like it).

There are other technologies like Silverlight from Microsoft that are similar to flash, but it has the same disadvantages (not running in iPhone, processor intensive in everything but Windows).

And there is always the option of using both Javascript and flash combined (see nfl.com for an example, some parts are in flash and others in javascript).

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Use swfObject to embed the Flash content.
    Create alternate HTML/CSS content in the Flash DIV.
    iPhones and other crippled browsers will never be aware that the Flash content is missing; they will see the alternate content.
    (it's a good idea to use simple content for this, so you don't exclude anyone)

You can find skilled Flash developers at the Projects and Positions forum at actionscript.org, or at the Job Offers forum at kirupa.com