How to Hook Up 5.1 Surround Sound on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boba7523, Oct 25, 2014.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 MacBook Air and posted here because I thought this thread would get more exposure that way.

I'd like to know how to connect a 5.1 surround sound speaker to my MacBook Air. Would I need a receiver? If so, what kind of receivers would you guys recommend that won't break the bank?

Could I also purchase 5.1 bluetooth speakers and connect via BT instead?

2. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to output sound from my MacBook Air (2014) to surround sound speakers.

Heard it can be done by hooking up Mini Displayport to HDMI to a receiver or something...

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Searching google for "Macbook air surround sound" gave me this as the very first hit.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3639822

Perhaps you should give google a try too!

4. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep yep, I did Google Search but there were several methods. I'm not sure which one is the "correct" one and most cost effective. Correct meaning sound output quality will be good...

Never converted to 5.1 before so it's new to me! :)

5. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Btw, i don't think that method works since I use external monitor, so mini displayport would already been used.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's no single "correct" method. You need to determine what works best for you.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It depends entirely on what kind of surround sound your decoding or bitstreaming in the software player, what ports your Mac has (that support the proper audio such as LPCM), your receiver and if it supports HDMI audio (again specifically LPCM and Dolby Digital and/or DTS). Onkyo is a good brand, they can be expensive but their low end stuff is always a deal IMHO.

8. zone23 macrumors 68000

I use Apple TV and a Yamaha receiver. Use the fiber optic from the Apple TV to the receiver or you can just use the HDMI. I like to watch sports and listen to music thats why I use both.