How to hook up Leopard to my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Monkey10, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Monkey10 macrumors newbie

Hello, I just bought a new iMac but I already had the previous generation of the MBP. Well, my new iMac has the new software disk (leopard) and I tried to hook it up on my MBP, but it wouldn't install it. I was wondering if I had to actually go buy it again, if there is something else I have to buy, or is there a process to actually setting it up? Thanks

-Antonio

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Well, modifying the iMac disc to install leopard on your MBP would become piracy, I'm afraid. You have to go buy another Leopard disc.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your software installation discs are specific to each model. You need to buy a copy of Leopard for your MBP. Using the installation discs from another Mac is a copyright violation.

4. Patrick327 macrumors newbie

If it's one of the grey discs that says:

iMac
    Mac OS X Install Disc 1

Then that's for your iMac only and I'm pretty sure you can't install it on your MacBook Pro. Just like you can't take your Tiger install discs from your MBP and install them on your old iMac G4 (just an example). If it's the purple and black DVD with the big X logo on it, then I don't know why it won't install. But even if it did work, as the people above have said, that's illegal since you're only granted one license.

5. Monkey10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that makes sense how they wouldn't want you stealing it from someone elses computer, but I just wish I didn't have to buy it since it's on my iMac.

Well, if you guys could help me out with one more thing... How do you set up a mail account I clicked on the stamp looking thing for mail but I don't know where to register at on the apple website for an account?

6. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

It doesn't HAVE to be a MobileME account, it can be any POP or IMAP service.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want an Apple email account you need to sign up for MobileMe (http://apple.com/mobileme)