How to hook up mic?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fireshot91, Aug 8, 2011.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

Jul 31, 2008
    Northern VA
    Is there anyway to hook up a Mic/headphone set up to a Mac Pro?

You know, one of those headsets that have two wires going into it, one for Mic and one for Headphones?
  2. diazj3, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2008
    If your MP is recent (2009/2010), the front headphone jack supports the new iPhone headphones with integrated microphone. Perhaps this headset adapter can help you take advantage of such feature...

I haven't tried it myself, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. And it's $10 cheaper than the iMic - which also is a great solution btw. Similarly this simple adapter will do the trick too for 10 bucks.

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2009
    Hell, AL
    You could try plugging it into the line in and headphone jacks on the Mac Pro.
  4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    The line-in method doesn't work. It doesn't preamplify the signal enough for a mic. I'm pretty sure the only way to use the line-in jack for a mic on newer Macs is to use a headset (like the iPhone earbuds) with a 3-ring plug. Adapters might exist for this as well. I'm not totally sure about that.

Another relatively inexpensive option for the OP would be to use a USB sound card dongle. Most of these are plug-and-play with OS X. You can get one for under $20 on eBay.